Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Freedom top and door weight

Old 03-15-2007, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freedom top and door weight

How much do they weigh(4 door)? Wondering if the wife can take the doors off by herself, and if the two of us can take the top off.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2007, 09:48 AM
JK Junkie

I can't speak to the weight of the doors, but can tell you that the top is probably going to be a challenge. Not sure how strong your wife is, but it's more "awkward" than outright "heavy."

I have the 2-door, and when my wife helped me, it was pretty tough for her. The hardest part for her was that she's short - 5'0 - so lifting it high enough to clear the rear tire / 3rd brakelight was a challenge for her. I can only imagine that the 4-door hardtop is even heavier and more awkward.

If your wife is reasonably strong, the two of you can probably manage it with a little cursing... but to be honest, I would strongly recommend that she HELP (guide it, etc) while you and one other person take it off - 3 people would've made it a breeze, instead of a PITA.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

For the top, if you have a garage I highly recommend getting a "hoist-a-top" to lift and store your hard top. The first time I took off my hard top on my 2000 TJ with my "wife" we put a big gouge in one of my side panels. We were not expecting the awkwardness of the hard top when we began to lift it off. For me, I keep my hard top off all summer and put on a soft top. It is a great way to store it out of the way and keep it from being damaged.

I use the one produced by Lange: http://www.quadratec.com/products/12020_1X_A_PG.htm

I have it for my new 4 Dr already, just no Jeep to use it on yet :sad:

As far as the doors, on my 2000 they were a bit heavy and awkward and I am assuming with the new power group they will be even heavier. Will let you know when I get my new Jeep in!

Jim K
2000 TJ Sport
2007 Rubicon Unlimited, Rescue Green, Auto, Power, Dual Top, Deep Tint
11/20/06 - Ordered
01/08/07 - D Status
02/28/07 - D1 Status
03/08/07 - KZL Status - almost here!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 10:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
I can't speak to the weight of the doors, but can tell you that the top is probably going to be a challenge. Not sure how strong your wife is, but it's more "awkward" than outright "heavy."

I have the 2-door, and when my wife helped me, it was pretty tough for her. The hardest part for her was that she's short - 5'0 - so lifting it high enough to clear the rear tire / 3rd brakelight was a challenge for her. I can only imagine that the 4-door hardtop is even heavier and more awkward.

If your wife is reasonably strong, the two of you can probably manage it with a little cursing... but to be honest, I would strongly recommend that she HELP (guide it, etc) while you and one other person take it off - 3 people would've made it a breeze, instead of a PITA.
Having owned many Jeeps (so talking from experiance). And also having a girlfriend that is hieght challenged, here is a tip that may help you.
Open the rear window up prior to removing the hard top and you can slide it straight back and only have to lift it a couple inches, and the tire and brake light assy will not be an issue, try it and let me know how this works for you. Jon
Old 03-16-2007, 03:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JonGiovani
Having owned many Jeeps (so talking from experiance). And also having a girlfriend that is hieght challenged, here is a tip that may help you.
Open the rear window up prior to removing the hard top and you can slide it straight back and only have to lift it a couple inches, and the tire and brake light assy will not be an issue, try it and let me know how this works for you. Jon
Hmmm... that actually sounds like a really good idea... Thanks!
Old 03-16-2007, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Hmmm... that actually sounds like a really good idea... Thanks!
No problem, sometimes it's the easiest answers that are the harsest to find!
Old 03-16-2007, 01:13 PM
JK Freak

I'll throw in some estimates for door weights.

Fronts feel like roughly 50 pounds. They are much easier to take off than to put on. Just from a line the hinge pins up without scratching paint POV. the back ones are maybe 35 pounds. They feel much lighter. While it may not be a good idea to hang the windows by the frame, it sure is easier to transport & remove them by the window frame.

I must have some mild hinge mis-alignment onthe passenger side. Those are crazy hard to take off. Both front and back door. You have to work the door back & forth while lifting.

Quick Reply: Freedom top and door weight