Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Freedom Top Screw Question

Old 04-09-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freedom Top Screw Question

I did some quick searches here and didn't really find my answer, emphasis on quick, so if it exists, forgive me. Do you really need to put those soundbar screws back in? When I was initially shopping, a salesman told me that you really don't need to screw them back in. I highly doubt that all the latches plus the header latch could catastrophically fail all at once, but I'm not one to test things out.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

yes, put them back in... is it that hard or time consuming??
Old 04-09-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chipmaker
yes, put them back in... is it that hard or time consuming??
Yeah you're right, it takes longer for me to shove those pieces in that damn bag than it does to take the screws out and put them back in. I don't know who at Chrysler designed that storage bag, but they failed.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just put them back in. But don't start cranking on them too hard or you could damage the top, just till they are snug.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

I saw another thread on this topic recently. One guy said he leaves them out for the summer since he takes the panels off so frequently but puts them back on in the winter.

Personally, I plan to put them back in each time. Those plastic latches don't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I left mine out all winter, no issues EXCEPT IF your freedom top panels leak water inside, not only will you hear the slosh- the water will ron out of the screw holes on your shoulders.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mud Pie
Just put them back in. But don't start cranking on them too hard or you could damage the top, just till they are snug.
Yep, had to have mine replaced on my '07 Sahara. Luckily Jeep covered it under warranty. They said the screws were too long.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

i have safari straps netting that i leave in place under the hard top in winter.

the netting covers the holes for the freedom panels screws so i don't use them..............

no problems at all. i even take the jeep through the car wash and no leaks!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hbomb
i have safari straps netting that i leave in place under the hard top in winter.

the netting covers the holes for the freedom panels screws so i don't use them..............

no problems at all. i even take the jeep through the car wash and no leaks!
You may want to figure out where they would go and put a grommets to let the bolts through.

While riding with my wife, my mother-in-law recently said "what is this?" and unhooked the front windshield clip.

Thank God for those bolts or we may have had a mother-in-law ejection seat!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bstpierre
I saw another thread on this topic recently. One guy said he leaves them out for the summer since he takes the panels off so frequently but puts them back on in the winter.

Personally, I plan to put them back in each time. Those plastic latches don't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Yup! I just took mine out last week, and they will stay out until the fall when it gets too cold to take the panels off anymore. Ran like this for the past two summers and had no problems. No leaks even at the car wash.

Quick Reply: Freedom Top Screw Question