Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Fuel efficieny hints: tricks to getting good gas mileage and saving money

Old 01-17-2011, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel efficieny hints: tricks to getting good gas mileage and saving money

I was waiting for my JK while he was getting aligned and did so e research on keys to getting good gas mileage. FWIW, here is what I found:

1. 60 mph is the key. For every 1 mph over 60 mph, you average .10 a gallon of extra expense. I like driving at 75 mph ... Yikes.
2. When you come to a stop at an intersection and when accelerate, if your body moves more than just a little then you are driving too aggressively (not sure about that one ...)
3. Use the Gasbuddy application on your iPhone or droid. I just checked mine and there is a .10 difference in cost per gallon within 3 miles of where I am.
4. Keep your AC off ... Come on, you have a jeep. The top shouldn't be on anyways. Roll your windows down and smile, you are Jeepin'.
5. If you dont need your roof rack, take it off. I lose 1-1.5 mpg when mine is on. I have some kayak/surf/MTB attachments and a faring.
6. Let people accelerate pass you and don't race the F-150's. You don't have anything to prove remember you already have the coolest damn vehicle on the highway. They are trying to convince themselves what their hearts tell them every night when they go to sleep: "Why didn't I get a Jeep?". I have no word of comfort for them except to say, "Don't make that intake again."
7. Lastly, if you are really concerned about gas mileage and if saving gas is your primary goal then go buy yourself a Prius. And yes, we will laugh at you but you will safe lots of fuel.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:24 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speed is certainly a major factor for these cars especially. My Civic got 32mpg going 60-80.. Just didn't matter but 55 in the Jeep is at least 3 more mpg over 70. I try to coast as much as possible and not come to stops, it helps for sure.

Traveling the same commute every week my dash always says 18-18.5 per tank. Manual hand calculating always gives about one less mpg. (stock unlimited Rubi)
Old 01-17-2011, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

They could add keep tires inflated to that list.

I've got a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited 6 speed with about 800 miles. I've gotten 18 MPG overall on one tank 19 on another, mostly driving 55 on back roads mixed with some in city. The 18 MPG tank included a few miles of 4WD on a snowy road. I'm very pleased, since I know mileage typically improves with a few thousand miles and I'm already getting around the HWY rating overall.

It doesn't hurt that I've been driving it like I'm being followed by the state police.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by im-ocd
They could add keep tires inflated to that list.

I've got a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited 6 speed with about 800 miles. I've gotten 18 MPG overall on one tank 19 on another, mostly driving 55 on back roads mixed with some in city. The 18 MPG tank included a few miles of 4WD on a snowy road. I'm very pleased, since I know mileage typically improves with a few thousand miles and I'm already getting around the HWY rating overall.

It doesn't hurt that I've been driving it like I'm being followed by the state police.
That's the best thing you could do. Have you hand calculated your mileage or is that via the display? I don't know how accurate our displays are.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Biggest factor to better MPG and saving money......

1) DON'T MOD YOUR JEEP (good luck....I failed the first week of ownership)!

...don't add any lift, bumpers, winch, bigger & heavier lugged tires as this drains your bank account and the JK's MPG is out the window after you start modifying!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Prior to putting on 35's, the display would consistently show about 1 mpg better than I was actually getting.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bgwright
7. Lastly, if you are really concerned about gas mileage and if saving gas is your primary goal then go buy yourself a Prius. And yes, we will laugh at you but you will safe lots of fuel.
Ha! Yeah, my brother-in-law got a Prius, and was poking at me because of how much better gas mileage he got. That was until I reminded him that his car looked like a shoe, and was just wedge-shaped enough that I could literally park on top of it with my Jeep.

...he shut up after that.

I didn't buy the Jeep for the gas mileage. I bought it because it's awesome!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:10 PM
JK Junkie

I agree, acceleration & top speed are the keys to better mpg's. Just to add a couple items, turn off the vehicle for long stops (over 20 seconds, I do over ten, but that's a bit short for most people) and use cruise control.

You'll see in my list I have done a bit of modification and added a lot of weight, but can pull off around 19mpg's in the winter (winter blend fuel, doors and windows on) and around 21 mpg's in the summer (doors and windows off, but top up). Keep in mind this is daily driving, with a 32 mile round trip commute most of which is on the freeway (doing 60).

The sweet spot for mpg's appears to be 40-45 mph. If you can get a long stretch of several miles doing that, you will see a huge increase in your mpg's.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie

I could get 19-20 on the hwy with my last Jeep. It had 37s and 5.13 with an auto. I had to keep it under 60mph.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 PM
JK Super Freak

My nephew was being a smartass and asked me if my Jeep was a hybrid. I told him that it was, I could burn gas or diesel (I know I cant, it was just the most fuel burning answer I could think of.)

Quick Reply: Fuel efficieny hints: tricks to getting good gas mileage and saving money