Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Fuel efficieny hints: tricks to getting good gas mileage and saving money

Old 01-17-2011, 01:32 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As for weight, my experience says it's not a big factor for flat highway driving. I had 3 people, 3 30 packs, a coolers full of food, and a few hundred pounds of wood in my Jeep and driving 200 miles of 99% highway it still pulled within 0.5mpg of average.

I can see dealing with hills and stop and go driving would totally throw those numbers down the drain.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tslewisz
That's the best thing you could do. Have you hand calculated your mileage or is that via the display? I don't know how accurate our displays are.
The tank I reported getting 18 MPG: the display said 18.8 I checked it myself and it was really 18.2 which I rounded to 18. The computer was a little optimistic, but not all that far off.

The computer was a little optimistic on my previous vehicle a Dodge Ram 4x4 quad cab with 5.9 V8 it typically showed I was getting around 12.2 doing the same kind of driving as in my new Jeep.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

A buddy suggested that I copy him and switch diff fluid and oils to something a little more exotic. He said he noticed a couple of mpg difference (to the good) after the switch.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by deeker
A buddy suggested that I copy him and switch diff fluid and oils to something a little more exotic. He said he noticed a couple of mpg difference (to the good) after the switch.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?
I don't know about a couple miles, but maybe I saw a slight improvement, probably no more then .5 mpg's. I run full synthetics in both diffs, tranny, transfer case & engine.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

i did a CAI already, would adding like the MBRP exhaust help more too? i remember hearing that our jeeps need teh backpressure...but honestly, my exhaust is already starting to rust and it could use a new one..
Old 01-17-2011, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Turn the ignition off when you go down hills, drift off the back of a semi, punch holes in your wiper blades so the wind can blow through them, take off your door handles and use your tailgate to enter the vehicle, put a spoiler on your roof to keep your nose down at high speeds…….. ladies and gentlemen, you drive a Jeep…get a paper route and earn some gas money.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was only getting aroun 9 MPG on my 2008 Rubicon!!!!

Until I figured out that sitting out in the Rubicon, with the engine running to keep heater on and keep warm, while surfing the internet and checking emails in a free Wi-Fi zone was why I was burning so much gas!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Papa Surf
Turn the ignition off when you go down hills, drift off the back of a semi, punch holes in your wiper blades so the wind can blow through them, take off your door handles and use your tailgate to enter the vehicle, put a spoiler on your roof to keep your nose down at high speeds…….. ladies and gentlemen, you drive a Jeep…get a paper route and earn some gas money.
Come on. Just because we drive a Jeep, that doesn't mean we can't drive it economically. You keep the paper route, I'll just get better mileage.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by No1AP
Come on. Just because we drive a Jeep, that doesn't mean we can't drive it economically. You keep the paper route, I'll just get better mileage.
Riding with 35s and now wants to save the planet...
Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SamlautRanger
I was only getting aroun 9 MPG on my 2008 Rubicon!!!!

Until I figured out that sitting out in the Rubicon, with the engine running to keep heater on and keep warm, while surfing the internet and checking emails in a free Wi-Fi zone was why I was burning so much gas!!!
When idling you get 0 mpg.

Quick Reply: Fuel efficieny hints: tricks to getting good gas mileage and saving money