Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Fuel efficieny hints: tricks to getting good gas mileage and saving money

Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shift at 2 grand
Old 01-18-2011, 12:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Papa Surf

Riding with 35s and now wants to save the planet...
Cute. I guess we should all go around driving like its a sports car, lest we be mistaken for green peace.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 AM
JK Freak

It isn't just the cheapest gas - you need to get the right gas. The JK, or mine anyways, is pretty picky about what brand of gas it likes. Conoco, Costco, Safeway, Kum n Go, it likes those. Shell, Sinclair, Bradley - it hates those. The mpg difference is 3-4mpg, the 5-10 cent difference doesn't make up for that by a long shot.

I know in my TJ, it made a HUGE difference. Being a little 4 banger with 80k miles on it the touchiness was more apparent. If I got Conoco gas I could cruise home from college at 75 the whole way, if it was Shell I would not be able to get beyond 55mph on certain hills.

It is in the manual, so try it out. If you are getting poor mileage (or worse, it is a jeep) shop around and see what your JK runs best on. Not always an option - but worth it when you can.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bgwright
I was waiting for my JK while he was getting aligned and did so e research on keys to getting good gas mileage. FWIW, here is what I found:

1. 60 mph is the key. For every 1 mph over 60 mph, you average .10 a gallon of extra expense. I like driving at 75 mph ... Yikes.
2. When you come to a stop at an intersection and when accelerate, if your body moves more than just a little then you are driving too aggressively (not sure about that one ...)
3. Use the Gasbuddy application on your iPhone or droid. I just checked mine and there is a .10 difference in cost per gallon within 3 miles of where I am.
4. Keep your AC off ... Come on, you have a jeep. The top shouldn't be on anyways. Roll your windows down and smile, you are Jeepin'.
5. If you dont need your roof rack, take it off. I lose 1-1.5 mpg when mine is on. I have some kayak/surf/MTB attachments and a faring.
6. Let people accelerate pass you and don't race the F-150's. You don't have anything to prove remember you already have the coolest damn vehicle on the highway. They are trying to convince themselves what their hearts tell them every night when they go to sleep: "Why didn't I get a Jeep?". I have no word of comfort for them except to say, "Don't make that intake again."
7. Lastly, if you are really concerned about gas mileage and if saving gas is your primary goal then go buy yourself a Prius. And yes, we will laugh at you but you will safe lots of fuel.
Fuel when it's cool outside, fuel often & fuel slow I worked in an oil refinery & it may not add up to much but these are things that refineries focus on cause its were they lose $$$
Old 02-02-2016, 09:11 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bgwright
I was waiting for my JK while he was getting aligned and did so e research on keys to getting good gas mileage. FWIW, here is what I found:

1. 60 mph is the key. For every 1 mph over 60 mph, you average .10 a gallon of extra expense. I like driving at 75 mph ... Yikes.
2. When you come to a stop at an intersection and when accelerate, if your body moves more than just a little then you are driving too aggressively (not sure about that one ...)
3. Use the Gasbuddy application on your iPhone or droid. I just checked mine and there is a .10 difference in cost per gallon within 3 miles of where I am.
4. Keep your AC off ... Come on, you have a jeep. The top shouldn't be on anyways. Roll your windows down and smile, you are Jeepin'.
5. If you dont need your roof rack, take it off. I lose 1-1.5 mpg when mine is on. I have some kayak/surf/MTB attachments and a faring.
6. Let people accelerate pass you and don't race the F-150's. You don't have anything to prove remember you already have the coolest damn vehicle on the highway. They are trying to convince themselves what their hearts tell them every night when they go to sleep: "Why didn't I get a Jeep?". I have no word of comfort for them except to say, "Don't make that intake again."
7. Lastly, if you are really concerned about gas mileage and if saving gas is your primary goal then go buy yourself a Prius. And yes, we will laugh at you but you will safe lots of fuel.
What rpm are you at 60 mph? Also do you have the 3.8 or the Pentastar?
Old 02-02-2016, 09:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ps81-10b
Fuel when it's cool outside, fuel often & fuel slow I worked in an oil refinery & it may not add up to much but these are things that refineries focus on cause its were they lose $$$
Sounds like you have a lot of experience in this. Could you expand to why and how these things you mentioned would help?
Old 02-02-2016, 10:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by matt852
What rpm are you at 60 mph? Also do you have the 3.8 or the Pentastar?
The OP has a 2010, and hasn't posted in a few years.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Want good fuel economy in your jeep here are some of the best things you can do.
1. dont drive it.
2. install a sail.
3. only drive down hill
4. Find the hardest AT tires you can and fill them to maximum PSI
5. Slam it and install body kit for aero improvement

Honestly the best thing you can do for milage and save money is to just leave it stock and drive like your driving miss daisy.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
Want good fuel economy in your jeep here are some of the best things you can do.
1. dont drive it.
2. install a sail.
3. only drive down hill
4. Find the hardest AT tires you can and fill them to maximum PSI
5. Slam it and install body kit for aero improvement

Honestly the best thing you can do for milage and save money is to just leave it stock and drive like your driving miss daisy.
Dude. I almost peed reading this. AND bonus points for not saying Prius.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ps81-10b
This explains why:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp

Quick Reply: Fuel efficieny hints: tricks to getting good gas mileage and saving money