Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Getting back into a Wrangler.. JK?

Old 03-07-2019, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting back into a Wrangler.. JK?

So I'm getting back into a Wrangler in the next week or so. I've had three JKs and loved all of them. I found a good deal on a new JKU Willys for 29k out the door. Am I crazy to go with a JK over a JL? Looks like a base JL would be roughly 32 out the door. I know the forum may be a little biased toward the JK but I would really like your opinions based on some of the issues with the JL so far. This would also be the last chance to own a brand new JK..
Old 03-07-2019, 08:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I don't think you can go wrong with the JK. It's gonna be a classic for a long time. I think it really depends what you're gonna do with it. I didn't think I'd care much for the JL, but I like them better than I thought I would......not that I'm out to buy one. I do think that for someone that wants an every day jeep, and doesn't plan to build it up or take it offroad, the JL probably is a better choice just do to refinements. For an all around great vehicle to build and wheel, I still think the JK is a better option, but that is coming from someone who's JK gets more and more utilitarian. It gets wheeled a good bit, has no rollbar padding or carpet anymore, is bedlined in the tub and built to my tailored use. I would have thought that price difference would be greater than $3k on a base model compared to that Willys. I guess it comes down to what you're getting option wise in each one, cuz just on the surface I'd say $3k over the life of ownership really isn't that much money....so being apples to apples I'd go with the JL, but it all depends on how base is "base" compared to the JK.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's completely base.. even the 4 cyl engine.. roll up windows, base wheels, tires etc. No options.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Electric windows are the one thing I can never figure how people live without, and which seem like installing aftermarket would be a major PITA. It's kinda crazy that you can buy a $30k car with manual windows still. Always surprised me how many JKs were sold with manual windows too. That is the only reason I ponied up for that dumb $2500 u-connect package that the windows came in back in 2013.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Electric windows are the one thing I can never figure how people live without, and which seem like installing aftermarket would be a major PITA. It's kinda crazy that you can buy a $30k car with manual windows still. Always surprised me how many JKs were sold with manual windows too. That is the only reason I ponied up for that dumb $2500 u-connect package that the windows came in back in 2013.
I'm with you on this. I don't think I could ever go back to manual windows. It was one of my top requirements when purchasing my Jeep.

Now, the door locks on the other hand, I could care less about. I never lock my doors, so they never get used.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

The manual windows really don't bother me.. the top and doors are off most of the time. I drive 2 miles to work. I'm more thinking about the "crazy" aspect of buying a new older model JK, which most people would not do, compaired to the new one. Really the only thing I see gaining immediately are the 8 speed and easier soft top...
Old 03-07-2019, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only option mine had was AC and the u-connect bluetooth thing. I don't care about the bluetooth at all. Never used it. But it's a manual with no power anything. The way it should be. As much as people take their Jeeps to water and mud, the less electronic crap the better imo.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

1. They should already be giving you some discount because all vehicles are priced way too high, plus their going to make back a ton of money on the financing (if you do it through them) and their ridiculous document fees (approaching a thousand dollars for 15 minutes work in some places).

2. They should give you a huge discount for it being an outdated model. There's no two ways about that. They want that off their lot.

3. And, just FYI, the 4 cylinder engine isn't base (Are you sure this has the 4 banger? I can't confirm that was ever an option for the JK!). It's a $1,000 option. Plus, must be paired with the auto transmission, which is a $2,000 option. If you were looking at a manual transmission, you'd really have some bargaining power, because those they have great difficulty moving off the lot.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The white one pictured is a 3.6 with 5 speed auto..... looks like he got them down already
if the drive out is 29k.

The JL's is the one he mentioned with the 4 cylinder diesel. The dealer he is looking at
has several of those and the base internet price says in the 32's.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JKUsport16
The white one pictured is a 3.6 with 5 speed auto..... looks like he got them down already
if the drive out is 29k.

The JL's is the one he mentioned with the 4 cylinder diesel. The dealer he is looking at
has several of those and the base internet price says in the 32's.
Ah, thanks. Thrown by the pronoun, wasn't I?

Quick Reply: Getting back into a Wrangler.. JK?