JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Good news! Americans are happy with gas prices (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/good-news-americans-happy-gas-prices-46408/)

Yucca Patrol 07-02-2008 11:01 AM

Good news! Americans are happy with gas prices

I've been experimenting to determine how my speed affects my gas mileage. Both on a recent long distance road trip and during my daily driving, I've been setting my cruise control at or a few miles under the speed limit. I've found that doing this plus being careful about acceleration and limiting my use of the AC, I can get 15-20% better gas mileage without significantly increasing the amount of time it takes me to get from place to place. Right now I am getting 17.5mpg in the city and 21.5 on the highway.

During these times driving barely under the speed limit, I have tried to notice how many vehicles are driving at or under the speed limit and how many are exceeding the speed limit.

With the exception of a few garbage trucks and beater cars that probably can't get up to speed, I am being passed by EVERYONE and everyone is speeding.

Personally, I am not pleased with the current price of gas, but I feel that anybody who is unwilling to modify their driving habits even slightly has no right to complain about the price they are paying at the pump.

There is no reason to run out and buy a Prius, but if people would simply check their tire pressure, ensure that they have a clean air filter, and back down to the speed limit, we as a country could make a very significant decrease in the demand for oil.

But as long as Americans refuse to do one darn thing to make a difference, they must be happy with the price of gas today.

jeeperjkj 07-02-2008 11:05 AM

I think it's cheaper to buy a Prius than to get a new air filter, isn't it? :thinking:

sukemecuke 07-02-2008 11:06 AM

American public as a whole has decreased the amount of miles driven this year by several billion miles. Thus costing the oil companies some loss in revenue. Seems like we have finally reached our breaking point. I for one have stopped driving my jeep altogether. I ride my motorcycle everywhere I go. Sure it sucks to be hot as balls and smell like gas, but I am saving upwards of $400 a month in gas. Just with my wife commuting to and from work we are spending $520 a month in gas just for her. I think everyone is feeling the pinch and most are doing what they can to ease it up as much as possible.

pearl-drum-man 07-02-2008 11:06 AM

Yes, the hypocrisy is amazing:yup:

wiredawg_mg 07-02-2008 11:14 AM

I have slowed down some, and your right it barely increases the travel time. I have noticed that more people have slowed down during my commute. But of course there will always be someone driving 20 mph over the limit.

Keith615 07-02-2008 11:27 AM

I have to agree with Yucca Patrol. The number of people blowing by me is unreal. Maybe they just don' know any better.

ccdjeep 07-02-2008 11:36 AM

you ain't kiddin'

Seems like everyday I hit the highway some jack*** is a Suburban or an H2 or heck even the civics fly past me like I'm standing still. People just don't get it. Everybody is so self-absorbed now.

barneskh 07-02-2008 11:38 AM

Same here.
Doors off, top down, doing 55 on the freeway to/fro work in the slow lane.
Between me and the wife (Yukon XL) we are spending $800 a month on petrol :doh:

miguelylucy 07-02-2008 11:51 AM

yep :rotflmao2::rotflmao2: add me to the list :yup: I ve been driving like the people I use to criticize :eek2: well with current gas prices what do you expect :dontknow2: .. I am driving between 45 to 50 on the highway and the people are flying pass me :sad2: that reminds me I have to change my air filter today....

berg 07-02-2008 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. T (Post 577673)
i've stopped driving like an ass as well and have seen some little improvements. with the top down and doors off, cruising at a lower speed is just fine by me. taking in more of the surroundings.
however, by having the top down and doors off, i am adding drag/wind resistance, no? :thinking: so, i think i am technically shooting myself in the foot a bit and should just call it a wash.

good post yucca... :thumbsup:

I don't think it going to make any difference top up or down. The Jk is so not areodynamic as it is.

But as you say, you can enjoy the ride. Besides you're not worried about the next speed trap.

I never could see the logic in hurrying to cover basicly short distances.

When I commuted to and from NJ to King of Prussia PA. I saw that on average it took 20 minutes at 55mph to get to 30th street in Phila. To cut that time in half I'd have to go 110mph. And then I'd only save 10 minutes if I didn't get killed or locked up.

On a 1000 mi trip speeding will save substantial time. But in most local driving speeding is just a waste of gas