Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Gorilla glass windshield opinions

Old 11-17-2018, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gorilla glass windshield opinions

I seem to go through one windshield a year and I’m kind of sick of it so I’m trying to figure out if I should pay extra for the gorilla glass or just buy a cheap one and budget for a new one more often.
Does anyone have the gorilla glass? Is it worth the extra money
Old 11-18-2018, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve been installing auto glass for over 20 years now and the windshield we replace most often is the JK, by far. I’m on my fourth on my 2009 JK. I considered the gorilla glass as well, and have installed a few too. Right now it is considered a Mopar aftermarket accessory which means it is only available through the dealership, and that carries a hefty price tag! I believe the glass itself is around $530, after install you’re looking at around $800 depending on who installs it! We install the aftermarket windshields (pgw or pilkington brand) for $290 and the original Mopar glass for $460. A lot of people think that you are paying the extra amount for the little Jeep climbing the mountain in the lower right corner and the Jeep grill up top, but the Mopar glass is a bit thicker than the aftermarket windshields. The gorilla glass is funky, it’s very thin, and has a different tint than most glass, more yellow than the traditional blue/green. It does look different looking through them. You can push on them and see them bend and distort. Apparently however they come with a limited 2 year warranty as well. They are supposed to resist impact up to 80mph. What that covers exactly I’m not sure. Anyway, food for thought!
The following 2 users liked this post by slimjim0:
Mark Doiron (11-19-2018), Sodak (11-21-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 05:10 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I hope you don't mind, slimjim0, i have shared your informative post with a few friends.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info is the gorilla glass an annoying yellow?
I’m on my second mopar windshield and I won’t do it again not for over $400 and it lasted eight months so I’m between the cheapest thing I can find or if I get good feedback on the gorilla I might bite the bullet and buy one.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I hope you don't mind, slimjim0, i have shared your informative post with a few friends.
Not at all!
The following users liked this post:
Mark Doiron (11-21-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 11BlackJKUR
Thanks for the info is the gorilla glass an annoying yellow?
I’m on my second mopar windshield and I won’t do it again not for over $400 and it lasted eight months so I’m between the cheapest thing I can find or if I get good feedback on the gorilla I might bite the bullet and buy one.
So the tint is a bit different, definitely more yellow, but probably not noticeable. Just like most people don’t realize regular windshields have a greenish tint to them. It may be one of those things that, if you see it you can’t “unsee it”.

Honestly, I’ve had two Mopar windshields, one Pilkington and one PGW windshield in my Jeep and eventually they all break just the same. It’s a total gamble the second you get out on the road so I feel your pain. Next time around I’ll probably just stick with traditional aftermarket. We literally replaced one guys Audi windshield 4 times in one month. Talk about bad luck! Sometimes it doesn’t matter what you put in there.
Old 05-06-2022, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bough the 2022 Gladiator and a small rock off the street going about 30mph hit just right and there goes the spider crack. The warranty only covers for 3inches or less. Mine happened at night so from the time it cracked to the next morning it went from about 2inches to 12 inches over night, warranty won’t cover it. As far as I am concerned not worth it!
seveer13 (11-22-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

My Jeep glass was replaced recently and the total bill was $202 CDN installed. Was a generic brand. I just go 3 years, cracks, dings and sandblasting then replace it.
EHayden - are you talking about Gorilla Glass?
Old 05-10-2022, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

Yes sir, the Gorilla Glass comes installed on the new JTs. Garbage and not worth the cost as far as I am concerned.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default Don't waste your money on Gorilla Glass

Purchased a Jeep Gladiator in February, 2022. Six months later, a stone hits our windshield causing a crack from top to bottom. Jeep came with a 2-year warranty on Gorilla Glass, but GG claims it is void, because it is longer than 3 inches. Will never buy a Jeep again. Gorilla Glass is a joke, don't waste your money. Their customer service department lacks professionalism.
seveer13 (11-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Gorilla glass windshield opinions