Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Got rear ended..

Old 11-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Got rear ended..

This happened at one of those lovely highway interchanges where everyone tries to dive in past the line at the very end. The traffic had just started moving when the line of cars in front of me all slammed on the brakes. I stopped a few inches short of the car in front of me and the minivan behind me slid into me hard. I have no rear bumper, just a hitch mounted license plate bracket and some shackle tabs in the frame ends. The jeep fared rather well, but I have a squeak I'm chasing down now. My question is, if I were standing hard on the brakes when the impact happened, is there a possibility something in the brakes/axles/diffs was compromised? I'm on 37's with a big brake kit. I have yet to start pulling things apart and it may be something simple and unrelated, just figured it can't hurt to ask. No one was hurt, please enjoy the photos

Me:

2017-11-07_01-43-40 by rocketaudi, on Flickr

The minivan:

2017-11-07_01-57-27 by rocketaudi, on Flickr
Old 11-07-2017, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Personally I'd take it to a body shop and verify there's no frame damage.

Hard to say about the squeak, did the minvan go under you and hit the tires? Bent rear axle shaft flange maybe??..??.. ..... who knows

Glad everyone's OK!
Old 11-07-2017, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 201 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
The minivan:

2017-11-07_01-57-27 by rocketaudi, on Flickr
I'd say near zero possibility of hurting something in the brakes/axles/diffs. The tires should skid before brake parts get excess torque, and the axles/diffs won't see any torque load (brakes took it all, clutch was in).

That minivan photo reminds me of my old 73 "all terrain" Pinto.

Last edited by Mr.T; 11-07-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.T
I'd say near zero possibility of hurting something in the brakes/axles/diffs. The tires should skid before brake parts get excess torque, and the axles/diffs won't see any torque load (brakes took it all, clutch was in).

That minivan photo reminds me of my old 73 "all terrain" Pinto.

This is very true. All of it. Impact must have loosened something, my money is on the exhaust. And yeah that minivan went right up

Quick Reply: Got rear ended..