Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Had a caliper sieze, fixed but noticed a week later lug nuts loosened?

Old 01-25-2019, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a caliper sieze, fixed but noticed a week later lug nuts loosened?

Hi new here. Have an 09 JK And so far loving this thing.

Wondering if if anyone has any info around what I just experienced. About a week ago had my left front caliper start to seize! I was able to drive home and it was smoking and hot. I jacked it and noticed the pads were close to the rotors. So I decided to replace both fronts. The seized caliper piston did push back in with little force. Wondering if it was in territory it was never in before being out that far? Not sure.

got the pads on, tightened the luggs
up and so far it’s fine.

However, today I noticed a bad vibration on the left side area especially when I would turn. I run BF Mud Terains on it and the fronts are worn down kind of low, tread wise. I thought maybe I threw a tire belt. Oh well time to replace them. I then noticed while inspecting the tires the side the caliper heated up on the lug bolts were Stcking our in all different depths. I touched one and sure enough it was loose. One, ONE was still tight! Other 4 were loose! Wow! I know I tightened them down!!!

im wondering because that hub got very hot is it possible the lugs could have expanded? Should I replace them? Anyone else ever see this before?

Thanks
spankey
Old 01-25-2019, 06:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I assume you just didn't tighten them all the way after your last repair. I typically tighten my lugs, then take the vehicle for a short test drive, then tighten the outs again.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I assume you just didn't tighten them all the way after your last repair. I typically tighten my lugs, then take the vehicle for a short test drive, then tighten the outs again.
sadly I know I tightened them however. I’m not one to re check them later down th road. Just odd the side that experienced all the heat is the side that was mostly loose. I’ll recheck them in a week if they’re loose again something is going on with either the bolts or the lugs

Old 01-26-2019, 12:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I've had calipers seize a couple times and never had the lugs come loose after doing needed repairs. Did you use a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts to 95-100 foot/pounds? Have you considered that perhaps your torque wrench is not properly calibrated? Might try another one on those same nuts to compare to what the one you used set. FYI, keep an especial close watch on the bolts that hold the caliper in place. Folks have had them loosen and even get lost. Here's a video from last year on the TransAmerica Trail when that happened on a friend's Jeep ...

Should forward to event at about 9:43 ...
Old 01-26-2019, 01:44 AM
JK Newbie

Wow wish we had rides like that here in PA! Amazing DIY repair!

i tightened them with a t lug bar. Normally I’ve never gone back to re check them but surely will now. Especially on this side

i have a Mustang GT that I do work on and have the wheels off all the time. I smoke those rear tires like crazy and lugs hold fine!

my main concern was should I have been concerned since the side that got very hot is the side that loosened after a week. So since you stated you also had this happen I guess I’ll have to just re check them in a week to make sure they’re holding.

Thanks all happy Trailing!!!
Old 01-26-2019, 03:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Hey, one thought just popped into my mind: Do you have aftermarket wheels? (Note, this is why you should fill out your profile info). If so, most of them do not have a recess for a clip that the factory uses on the assembly line to secure the brake rotor. It's not meant as a permanent piece--just to hold the brake rotor on during vehicle assembly. The OEM wheels have a recess to clear that clip. Most (probably all) aftermarket wheels do not. The wheels cannot be properly butted up against the rotor when tightened down, allowing them to work loose. Anyone installing aftermarket wheels needs to remove those clips. It's just a little spring clip that slides on over the wheel lug--usually a couple are on each corner.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-26-2019 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks I do not. I have Jeep rims. But thanks. I’m just going to check them in a week to see if they loosened at all. I most likely didn’t torque them down fully when I moved on to the right side to do the new brake pads!

We will see soon enough!

just thankful nothing terrible happened to me or anyone else! Could have been bad if that wheel flew off!

Quick Reply: Had a caliper sieze, fixed but noticed a week later lug nuts loosened?