Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Half or full doors?
Half doors for life!
56.87%
Full doors forever!
43.13%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Half Doors

Old 07-16-2009, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really wanted to get the full doors and hard top for my new Jeep. Figured I could pick up a TrekTop or something like that cheaper than buying a hard top.

Then I rode in a Jeep with half doors and the top folded back. I bought the first (only) half door Jeep I could find (and one of the few with a 6-speed).

I dig it.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by patsav
As great as half-doors may be if you live in a harsher climate, like Canada-hey!, then hardtop & full-doors are first on the list. Then, if you have the money, soft-top and half-doors.
X2 - Also had to consider the theft Issue.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I like no doors but if I have to use doors i wish i had half doors
Old 07-17-2009, 01:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by myklt8
When the JK first came out, everyone wanted full doors and power windows..the dealer couldn't sell the 1/2 doors...mine sat on the lot for 5 months, so I got a great deal on it.
after the first wave cycled through, most dealers just ordered full doors for the lot, and left the 1/2 doors as a special order item. ...
I ordered my JK in Jan 07. Several things would guarantee you a very long wait for your order, half doors being one of them (so was Rubicon, MyGig, rear locker on X). So, I ordered full doors.

I was down at the local dealer a couple weeks ago and they had one of about two dozen JKs with half doors. And it was 2WD. What a waste.

Personally, I think half doors look really cool with the top off/safari top. However, with the full top on and the windows, it's pretty gacky. Which, I guess, is a great excuse to run most of the time without the windows.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like allot of people said. I like the halfdoors but untill i can get them cheaper im happy running doorless.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Since I had to special order mine anyways, I went ahead and checked the half door box, then I accidently checked the mygig box also. Since I am overseas using dip sales, I still got it cheaper than MSRP, but more than what I could have done with a dealer and some inventory on the lot. I don't regret it for a second though, I love my half doors.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SanBlas04-25-2009 040.jpg
Views:	1121
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	27102  
Old 07-17-2009, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've seen about 4-5 different half door unlimited's in the past 2 months in SC. I think they're more prevalant in the warmer climates.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Squirrel Killer
I always like when someone states the infamous "theft issue". What issue. You could have near bullet proof glass and a steel top. If they want in, they will get in. I had a car with a normal top and normal tinted glass, guess what, someone wanted in and there went the glass.

My wife brough this same tactic up when I ought my 4dr half doors and soft top JK. I told her, if they want in they're gettin in no matter what the top or doors are. As for the cold..I am waiting on half hard uppers with slider windows. Then I got the best of both worlds and exactly what I wanted.
The theft issue is not vehicle contents ... it's the HALF DOORS themselves that are a possible target of theft. Due to the rarity and cost of half-doors I do worry about them getting stolen.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

I'd love to have a set of half doors for summer, but they are too $$$ for me.

I had to go the practical way with full doors, 'cause who wants to drive in a -40 winter with half doors?
Old 07-17-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKRINGO
X2 - Also had to consider the theft Issue.
The whole theft thing is kinda a wash. If you leave something in plain site in any car someone wants they are gonna take it. Your best bet to avoid getting crap stolen out of any vehicle is to just not have stuff visable that would be worth steeling.

As far as soft doors, top etc. If you bought your jeep to rock it full doors and hard top for "security reasons" you traded the rare possiblity of having a jacket stolen for the 100% possibility of loving your Jeep that much more

P.S. You'll never see my Jeep locked because I'd rather them open the door than knife the top or soft doors to get to w/e they think they're gonna get. And if they are stealing the car in general... they will just break a window on hardtops/fulldoors.

Last edited by mrhumpty; 07-17-2009 at 06:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Half Doors