Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

half doors vs. full doors OPINIONS?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default half doors vs. full doors OPINIONS?

I was driving home from the gym today and saw a sweet looking silver JKU with a dark tan soft top & half doors. I was driving my little mazda 6 and when I passed him I gave him a thumbs up & mouthed "nice jeep" but he just looked at me .

But anyways it got me to thinking. What do you guys think are the pro's/con's of 1/2 doors & full doors?

I've got this.

1/2 DOOR PROS
  • looks badass with the top of the door off
  • feels more like a jeep
  • easier to remove than full doors

1/2 DOOR CONS
  • less protection than full doors (theft & accidents)
  • potential problems & drive through places maybe?
  • doesn't look as good with doors fully on

FULL DOOR PROS
  • looks badass no matter what
  • better protection (theft & accident)
  • easy roll down windows

FULL DOOR CONS
  • more weight that comes back when opening on an incline
  • not quite the same "free" feeling as 1/2 doors (unless you take them completely off )
  • heavy & a pain to store

I've never ridden in a 1/2 door jeep but i'd imagine it's nosier as well. What do you guys think?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the look of the half doors but wouldn't want to put up with zippering and trying to fold in the windows without scratching them each time I wanted to open the window. Parking garage tickets, toll booths, talking to a jeep next to me, etc.
I have full doors and a set of the bestop two-piece soft doors. The soft doors are nice for the times when I actually want a half door.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's a mix. I have both and enjoy them both for the differrent reasons that you've already mentioned. I run the full doors in winter and and half doors in the summer. Love the open feeling with the half doors and the windows aren't that much of a problem. The windows zip really easy so it's quick to open/close them for drive thrus. One thing I don't like about having them unzipped is not being able to rest my arm on the door for fear of creasing or scratching the window. Most of the time though, I just remove the upper windows and put them in the back, so I rarely deal with unzipping the windows unless there is immediate rain in the forecast. I do love the power windows on the full doors.

I had a terrible problem with the half door windows leaking last summer and since found out there is a way for the dealership to adjust them so they fit better. Next Spring when I switch back to the half doors, I'll go to my dealership and see if they can adjust them. If they pass the rain test, I'm thinking of leaving them on all year long. I didn't really notice any noise increase with them. I just can't handle removing the full doors by myself, well probaby removing them OK, but I know I couldn't put them back on by myself.

The half doors are easy to remove and install and have a more open feeling especially with the soft top down. Those days when I want to go doorless, I won't have any problems removing the doors and hitting the road or trails. As for security, I have Tuffy Products to secure what I need to carry with me and don't leave anything out in sight to tempt anyone to steal. Full doors may be a deterrant but theives usually cut the soft top windows to the soft top to get in anyway.

It would be a tough decision if I had to choose only one option, it would most-likely be the half doors....if the leak problem can be fixed.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

No doors......
Old 12-20-2011, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

I have only full doors but want half doors bad. Anyone want to trade? A friend of mine has half doors and the look and feel very cool.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:30 PM
JK Super Freak

I sure wish I had half doors
Old 12-20-2011, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

I have had both. I had full doors on a 97 TJ, half doors on 07 JK with dual tops, full doors on 12 JKU hard top.

For offroad I love the visibility with upper door half off.

I hated the noise and easy scratch of upper doors.

In my mind the perfect setup would be half doors with hard (fiberglass and glass or plexiglas) door uppers. Bestop used to make for the TJ but not JK.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:52 PM
JK Junkie

half doors ..but the zipper windows can be a pain in the ass sometimes.. but its worth it

Old 12-20-2011, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

I want half doors for sure
Old 12-20-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had half doors on my 07. I loved the open air feeling and ease of removing them. They also keep the heat in on those cool rides. I now have full doors on my 2010 and a set of tube doors for summer and this works best for me

Quick Reply: half doors vs. full doors OPINIONS?