Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Have the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty? READ THIS!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Have the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty? UPDATE

OK, just got off the phone with my dealer because the Jeep's clutch died (master cylinder gone). He gave me a heads up.

In essence, Chrysler is trying very hard to kill off this program by voiding the warranties. Here is their latest ploy.

To keep your Lifetime Warranty, the Jeep needs to be inspected by the dealer every 5 years at the date if inservice (day you bought it) +- 30 days. That is a 60 day windows. If you do not show up, the warranty is void. If any of the data from the original purchase paperwork has changed (your name, address, phone #, etc), the warranty is void. Yes, that means that is you get married and change your last name, the warranty is void (so do not tell them!).

They are also going to look for component "damage" during the inspection. What does that mean? I suspect that if you have been off road with it (scrapes on the skid plates, differential housing, suspension arms, etc) will void the warranty.

It was originally conceived as a marketing scheme that has cost them way too much money (no surprise with the reliability issues of the JK).

It is up to the dealers to inform the owners at the dealer's expense. Also, if the dealer you bought it from is now no longer, you will not be informed. Note that Jeep is NOT going to tell you this info - it is up tot the dealers to step up, and we all know how great they all are.

In short: get the inspection, DO NOT give them any new info, cross your fingers.

UPDATE:

Hey guess what? I'm a dumb ass. I just reread the entire warranty booklet and guess what? All of this is stipulated in the original warranty.

Last edited by SiliconTi; 05-18-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started reading this and was going to respond and say that's all in the original paperwork. As much as they would love to kill it, leagally they can't.

I've had a reminder on my calendar for 4 years that is 90 days from my 5 year anniversary (which is in November) to make an appointment for the 5 year inspection.

So far my dealer has been great, so I expect the inspection to go well. They know I offroad, but don't beat it up. Heck, my service advisor has a bigger lift and clearly hits tougher trails than I, so that helps a lot.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by SiliconTi
If any of the data from the original purchase paperwork has changed (your name, address, phone #, etc), the warranty is void. Yes, that means that is you get married and change your last name, the warranty is void (so do not tell them!).
I didn't read that point in any of the warranty paperwork. Where did that item come from?
Old 05-18-2012, 02:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like something Chrysler would do, offer you something then think of reasons to void it when you need it.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I didn't read that point in any of the warranty paperwork. Where did that item come from?
The manual does not get this specific, but it does mention that, for example, if a business has the Jeep and the person on the paperwork's name changes, even if the same company owns it, the warranty is void. Rest came from the dealer source.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by SiliconTi
The manual does not get this specific, but it does mention that, for example, if a business has the Jeep and the person on the paperwork's name changes, even if the same company owns it, the warranty is void. Rest came from the dealer source.
That doesn't apply to us, as private owners, then.

This is from a supplement to the warranty book, which says the same thing:
Who is Covered?
You are covered by the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty if you are the first registered owner or lessee for use of the vehicle. Subsequent owners or
lessees, even if they are within the same family or business, are not covered. Successor business entities or persons to whom the vehicle is transferred by
operation of law are also not covered.

There is no mention of changes in address, telephone number, or last name change due to marriage, being grounds for voiding the warranty.
If a dealer representative told you these things will void the warranty, he was wrong.

Last edited by ronjenx; 05-18-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chrysler voiding the warranties.

Force the issue with the dealership and make them show root cause for the damage, and if your mods were the cause accept that, but get other source to see if they concur, if they don't (like the 42RLE trans and that mopar transmission cooler was not the cause) document that. Dealerships and Chrysler reps will lie for profit thats the nature and ethics of business today.

So what would be the next step
Even thou Chrysler has it's bank of lawyers it's still cheaper to settle out of court, but they could still take it all the way to jury then settle.

When Chrysler and Fiat merged, Congress didn't let Chrysler off the hook, they still have to honor their contracts to my knowledge.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Just to clarify, I have not lost my warranty and are not having issues. This was just a heads up.

I'd delete the thread if I could.

Quick Reply: Have the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty? READ THIS!