Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Have you done more work on your JK yourself than previous vehicles?

Old 10-20-2013, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have you done more work on your JK yourself than previous vehicles?

As I was installing my Poison Spyder bombshell covers today, I began thinking about how much work I have completed on my JK myself. The previous vehicles I have owned, I paid someone to install things. So far, in the 9 months I have owned my JK, I have installed my front bumper, winch, three sets of Rigid lights, Spod, body armor, hood louver, differential covers, and CB.
With all of the writeups, and videos of how to install such and such, I feel that the only mods I would not tackle myself are things that require a lift, or tools that I do not own, would be cost prohibitive to purchase, or requires welding.

I am wondering how many other non-mechanics have found themselves completing their own modifications?
Old 10-20-2013, 03:39 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that just mods done yourself or like restoring something
Old 10-20-2013, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by familytime
Is that just mods done yourself or like restoring something

Both. I am looking to see how many people that previously did not work on their vehicles themselves, but now that they have a JK, are actually turning a wrench.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I used to do a lot if wrenching on my own vehicles, but not so much anymore. All I've done to the JK is add a 3rd row seat, tires and dip my grill.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I've always preferred to work on my vehicles myself, primarily because the quality of work other places do is so often suspect. However, during my days in the military, time often necessitated me paying someone to do the work. Now that I'm retired, time is not an issue. But, I still work way more on the Jeep because there's always some new mod worth doing, or an improvement to an existing mod. And because I use the vehicle hard, which tends to make it break more often than previous vehicles.

I get a kick out of the lifted pick-up trucks I see around here--most of those guys never lifted a wrench to build their trucks--they've denied themselves that pleasure just to have something to take to the mall. If you're going to wheel your Jeep (or whatever off-road vehicle you prefer), it's vital that you become familiar with its workings. When you're 112 miles of off-road trail from the nearest wrecker service, getting back to civilization can cost a pretty penny (think in the thousand or two dollar range just for the tow).
Old 10-21-2013, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

I have done more work on a previous vehicle of mine (motor work on a late model sport truck) -- but the JK / Wrangler is an extremely serviceable vehicle. Favorite part -> those tape measure front end alignments.

The satisfaction of doing it yourself is very addicting.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

No.It's just easier to work on.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Restored many a VW bug and a 356B Porsche and had a lot of fun doing that.
I put a ton of work into a 2003 MINI Cooper S JCW for the autocross track - always have enjoyed doing my own work - then you know what you have in it.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

What I have found out so far is that I definitely need more tools, specifically air tools and a good compressor for my garage.
Member write-ups have been a great deal of help and helped me tackle projects I was initially hesitant to do myself
Old 10-22-2013, 08:38 AM
JK Jedi

All I did was remove stickers of my bike lmao

Jeepin on a budget
-Jeek

Quick Reply: Have you done more work on your JK yourself than previous vehicles?