Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Having more than one JKU in the household.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having more than one JKU in the household.

I have noticed a couple of postings of others having more than one Jeep in the garage, but I have never met or seen anyone personally who own two of the exact same vehicle as their daily drivers.
We've been looking to replace our beloved 01 Durango R/T for about a year, but my wife has been disappointed by the lack of "coolness" or unique style she wants that the ol' D has. The new D, kind of plain looking, nothing special to drive. Honda Pilot, also boring. Any of the other large SUV's out there are all pretty plain-Jane too.
I needed a replacement car this year so this is how I came about owning a JKU. I can't keep the wife out of it. The only issue is lack of seats, but I have been showing her the third row options available out there.
So she says last night, lets get another Wrangler. She even found which dealerships have 2014 white ones still on their lot.
Are we crazy for considering this? She wants to mod it so it is not like the other stock mall crawlers, but we are not talking lifts, wheels or tires. Thoughts on what we can do to it?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

A story on our dual jeep experience. TL;DR - its a win win and everyone should have multiple jeeps

Wife and i have been married for 4 years now. 2 years ago i got a wild hair up my butt to get rid of my Mustang and become an "adult". So i bought a jeep (not an adult move, but screw it, its as adult as i could go!). She drove a Hyundai Tiburon all through college and still had it at the time. After letting her test drive the jeep before i bought it (she was on the fence about it), she was hooked. After buying it, i would wake up some mornings for work and see her car key on my wallet (my jeep would be gone). Fast forward to this year. We bought a house and are trying for kids. I knew it was time for a bigger vehicle. She looks at a Tahoe and a few more SUVs but keeps coming back around to really wanting a wrangler. So we snatched her up a 2014 Rubicon black with a hard top. After reading about the 3rd row seats, we were convinced that (should we need that much seating) it would still be a great option. Now, once i pay off my 07, ill take the Rubi and go buy her another one. So basically i get to build 2 jeeps in nice easy baby steps. currently she has a 2.5 inch lift, steps, and 1.5" wheel spacers. Shes in love with it, i get to drive my jeep (and her jeep), and i know where my next jeep is coming from. I think its a win win for us both. Plus its cool to see 2 jeeps in the driveway
Old 11-05-2014, 08:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife has a 2012 JKU and I have a 14 JK. Nothing wrong with having 2 or more Jeeps IMO. She didn't want a lift either but the mods she did have me do make it stand out from the crowd.

Mods to her Jeep.

Brush guard.
KC slimlites on brush guard.
Rock guards on the head lights, directionals, marker lights, brake lights, and maybe fogs, can't remember.
Rampage hood locks.
Sill plates.
Grab handles.
Vent visors.
Mud mats front, rear, and cargo.
Tweeter mod.
Mud flaps.
Black Moab wheels off my sport.
Wheel locks.
Shorty black antenna (13 or 14")
Tinted windows.
Mirror drain mod.

She loves it. Gets lots of compliments.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 Jeep.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	583081

Last edited by 14Sport; 11-05-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:36 AM
JK Super Freak

In case ya'll don't know you are so lucky. If my wife (whoever she turns out to be) wanted another jeep, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

We have two jeeps in our family. First I got a 2011 2 door sport 6 speed. My wife drove it to work one day and fell in love with it. She decide she needed one. We went test driving and she liked the new 2013 because of the extra 82 horsepower. I drove it a few times, yep I said I need the extra doors and power. She's not to impressed with lifts so she just went with 34" dune grapplers. Me on the other hand I had to have the rubicon, 3.5" lift, 35" fierce attitudes, still a work in progress.

Name:	IMG_20140530_175918_014.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	583172 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140530_180045_671.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	583173
Old 11-06-2014, 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodge4me
I have noticed a couple of postings of others having more than one Jeep in the garage, but I have never met or seen anyone personally who own two of the exact same vehicle as their daily drivers.
We've been looking to replace our beloved 01 Durango R/T for about a year, but my wife has been disappointed by the lack of "coolness" or unique style she wants that the ol' D has. The new D, kind of plain looking, nothing special to drive. Honda Pilot, also boring. Any of the other large SUV's out there are all pretty plain-Jane too.
I needed a replacement car this year so this is how I came about owning a JKU. I can't keep the wife out of it. The only issue is lack of seats, but I have been showing her the third row options available out there.
So she says last night, lets get another Wrangler. She even found which dealerships have 2014 white ones still on their lot.
Are we crazy for considering this? She wants to mod it so it is not like the other stock mall crawlers, but we are not talking lifts, wheels or tires. Thoughts on what we can do to it?
We have two Jeeps; a 2-door Sport and a Rubicon JKU. 2012 and 2013, respectively.

We don't feel that it's crazy; it's our choice and if people think that's weird, that's their problem.

The two Jeeps came out of necessity and need and the benefit is I've always got a wheeling partner and we can take two vehicles, just the two of us, when we want to camp and go to the "way out there" places without the liability of being in a single vehicle should it break down.

If you want to differentiate the look of her stock JKU, the options are limitless. Get hold of something like a Quadratec or Northridge paper catalogue with photos and check out the bazillion different accessories-- functional and decorative- that can be added to the Jeep.

If I was doing a stock JKU as a daily driver, I'd level it (take out the strange rake that causes the Jeep to look like there's an invisible piano weighing down on the front bumper). I'd tint the front side windows, I'd replace the headlights with Trucklites LED for safety and maybe add a bull bar to the stock bumper where I could perch a set of auxiliary lights just for fun, and maybe mount a backup flood lamp under the rear bumper, also for safety and increased nightime visibility when backing up.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

My girl will be getting her Wrangler as well sometime. Not sure if it'll be this year or next year since we just bought her an all wheel drive car this year.

I think it's be pretty cool having two jeeps though. She can have as much fun modding hers as I do mine.

Forgot to mention, her jeep looks great Sport!

Last edited by D3ADLY; 11-09-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys. We are excited about getting another. Going to try to find her a Rubicon and make a low ball offer, but will settle for any white one. She says yes to tinted front side windows, Stock, but stubbified front bumper with bull bar and lights, and leveling kit.
Now we need to come up with a cleaver decal to replace the "Sport" decal. She wants no colors, just black and white.
I'd like this in black

Name:	il_340x270.572269595_a3sq.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	583775
I have not seen one on any local jeeps yet.
But am open to any other clever ideas, or sayings.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

My wife and I both drive jkus, we love them. Not to mention there is something great about a girl that drives a wrangler.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

Wife has a Red 2011 JKUR, I have a 2012 Mw3 JKU both daily drivers.

Quick Reply: Having more than one JKU in the household.