Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help Choosing a Lift

Old 09-17-2013, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just got my 07 jku rubicon and I'm looking into lift options. I don't want to break the bank... That being said I am almost set on 37s lol. I would love to do a 2.5-3.5 lift... Def going to want lower arms and prob new track bars to help stability. I will be adding gussets to my 44s as well. Any ideas of a decent lift setup to run 37s ??? I was hoping to stay at the 4.10 gears, most of the time I will be highway driving to and from work and then on the weekend I'll have some fun.

Also! I know the infamous reputation that has grown for the rough country brand, I have a 4 inch leaf kit on my yj and I love it for what I use it for. Does anyone have any experience with rough country's 3.5 inch lift ? Only thing I don't like is using the stock track bars with 37s

Any Advice is welcome ! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3109093061.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	498262  

Last edited by Ziloh22; 09-17-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my rock krawler 3.5 with 37s and 4.10 gears. I had rough country on previous jeep and i wasn't a big fan of it

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1678789193.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	498267
Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a perfect video for you to watch!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZUSrjamaJE I am a big fan of 37's myself with a 4" kit. However yes you can run 37's with a lower lift if you want to.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Got a perfect video for you to watch!
YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZUSrjamaJE
I am a big fan of 37's myself with a 4" kit. However yes you can run 37's with a lower lift if you want to.
Oh yes. I've watched that video probably about 20 times in the past year and I haven't even had a jku that long lol
Old 09-17-2013, 10:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Definately pick your tire size first. Then your lift. There are alot of options out there and as stated already you could go 4+" and 37s or go with a lower lift and do other things like trim your factory fenders or put on flat fenders and fit 37s. You mentioned not breaking the bank so a smaller height lift may give your biggest bang for your buck as you will not have so many things you have to do to maintain safe driveability and can add extra things as your budget allows.
I have no experience with rough country. When I lifted my JK I also wanted 37s and put in a 4.5" Trailmaster kit which gave me everything I needed to to get that height and maintain proper steering and drivetrain geometry at a great price point. At the time it was about $2300.00 complete with shocks and new driveshafts. I don't think the kit is available anymore but you could look around and see.
One thing to keep in mind...not only price but quality. I'm not knocking the quality of my Trailamster kit but after about 60K miles I'm swapping it out my worn out kit for a Rock Krawler 5.5" kit. This will allow me to comfortably clean my 37s with stock fenders and down the road....I could add flat fenders, heavier axles and go 40s.
So if staying on budget is of highest importance and you don't want to have to replace things twice. Stay with a lower kit, buy the best quality you can and add to it as you can.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ziloh22
Oh yes. I've watched that video probably about 20 times in the past year and I haven't even had a jku that long lol
Don't know if you are available but this Friday night, September 20th. There is a meet and Greet at the Buffalo Wild Wings in Rockaway New Jersey. It is just off of Rt. 80, exit 35. We are all meeting there about 8. Tom and Jake of Smashboogie 4x4 wil be there and they are a great pair to work with for getting your parts.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
Definately pick your tire size first. Then your lift. There are alot of options out there and as stated already you could go 4+" and 37s or go with a lower lift and do other things like trim your factory fenders or put on flat fenders and fit 37s. You mentioned not breaking the bank so a smaller height lift may give your biggest bang for your buck as you will not have so many things you have to do to maintain safe driveability and can add extra things as your budget allows.
I have no experience with rough country. When I lifted my JK I also wanted 37s and put in a 4.5" Trailmaster kit which gave me everything I needed to to get that height and maintain proper steering and drivetrain geometry at a great price point. At the time it was about $2300.00 complete with shocks and new driveshafts. I don't think the kit is available anymore but you could look around and see.
One thing to keep in mind...not only price but quality. I'm not knocking the quality of my Trailamster kit but after about 60K miles I'm swapping it out my worn out kit for a Rock Krawler 5.5" kit. This will allow me to comfortably clean my 37s with stock fenders and down the road....I could add flat fenders, heavier axles and go 40s.
So if staying on budget is of highest importance and you don't want to have to replace things twice. Stay with a lower kit, buy the best quality you can and add to it as you can.
Thanks man I will def keep that in mind !

And I will see what's on my agenda for that night maybe I will see you there
Old 09-17-2013, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Rustys kit. i installed their 3.25 kit on my old 2010 sport and loved it. Comes with front and rear track bars and is only 550 I believe. Price was great and so was the quality.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ziloh22
Great to hear that! So did you also watch this one? Figure out what you want for a tire first, then go with a kit that fits your needs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlFiJnAfEI8
Old 09-17-2013, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Great to hear that! So did you also watch this one? Figure out what you want for a tire first, then go with a kit that fits your needs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlFiJnAfEI8
This video is very instructive and really helped me with choosing the right tires.

If you run mainly on the highway you should stay at 35 but if you are planning to wheel hardcore then 37 is a minimum and you may need to regear to regain performance loss.

you can fit 37 with a 2.5" lift and flat fenders. Going higher than 2.5" requires a lot of parts to be changed and may also creates more stress to your driveline.

You could start with a simple 2.5" coil lift and upgrade some parts later like control arms and track bars. Rockkrawler, teraflex and metalcloak all provide basic kits that can be upgraded to higher end for extreme off road performance.

Quick Reply: Help Choosing a Lift