Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help out a deployed sailor, by teaching me before I Buy my Jeep when I return.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help out a deployed sailor, by teaching me before I Buy my Jeep when I return.

So I am deployed currently but return stateside soon! (Cant wait) Get to see my wife and dog soon, and buy my 2nd Jeep! I some how persuaded my SO to let me get an expensive new Jeep =) I was talking with a buddy for a few hours over Jeeps, and he helped persuade me on a decision but I want to know what all of you think? I used to have a '99 TJ and loved and want another one. So I figured that I will buy a 2007-2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted. But I am unsure on the package I want.. I dont care to much about bells and whistles, since I am somewhat DIY Savvy, and will be adding my own, and I would most likely replace most of the things in a Sahara. (they arent bad but not for me) Anyways, I was originally thinking Rubicon, since it has the D44 front and rear, Lockers, ETC(you guys know all this anyways) but my friend said to just get the X (sport?) and upgrade it as I go.. Which makes sense to me since it will become my DD but I would I really be saving money? The things I really want are the axles and lockers mainly (but that can wait a little while) I am mostly going to be DD the thing from work, but on duty free weekends, camping, light wheeling, adventuring on trails, and using it for hunting (logging roads and forest service roads/fire roads, etc) SO what do you guys think? put my self into a bigger loan for a few things I can add later.. mainly the lockers or rear locker at the least, and go as is for a while or try and find an X and upgrade as I can.. Sorry for being all over the place, work has my mind all scattered at the moment, making it hard to get other things straight too...

Thank you for all of your help! I really appreciate it and am GREATLY looking forward to being in the Jeep "club" again.

On another note I could use some help on is my friend said I should go with a 3.5 inch lift. I want a lift, but I was thinking along the lines of 2-3" more likely the 2-2.5 range, and suspension not body lift. I would like to run up to a 35 with no rubbing, but then again, I would most likely need new gears, to get any sort of good mileage. How would 33's be instead of 35's? Better mileage? I am looking for guidance for a way to get a good mix of mileage, and "offroad-ability" and handling. So what would be the best setup of gears, lift, and tire size, based on what I am going to be using the Jeep for, and assuming im going with a lets say 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X. Thank you all again! and sorry for the wall of text and soo many questions!

EDIT: A few more questions I thought of from my talk was that I should go with a 2012 or newer, (cant because of money reasons. Im looking at spending no more thn 24-25K realistically, and I will probably spend that or less depending on already put on addons from previous owner)because the engines and trannys have alot of problems on the 2007-2011 unlimited? what have been your guys' biggest problems? i understand things happen, but has anything really happened that wasnt too hard or too expensive to fix for no reason? I am looking at having tis Jeep when I buy it for 10+ years, and putting a lot of FUN miles on it. So what are some of the main things to look out for, or worry about?

EDIT #2: So after reading all of these comments I have reevaluated and thought about this for a bit. I dont care if its a Rubicon too much, and I was sort of being irrational about NEEDING a D44 in the front with front locker. so I have no problem going with the X model, and upgrading it with a rear locker. I wont be doing very much hardcore rock climbing or anything like that since there isnt too much of that around me anyways, its just mud, and dirt roads, and some rocks lol. but still I believe I will be fine with an aftermarket rear locker. Now I just have to find the right Jeep to buy. If i find a Rubicon at the right price I may go with that, but I would like to find a 2007-2012 X model. I am not worried about the auto transmission since I wont buy one that isnt manual. but that brings up a question 5 or 6 speed? whats better? and the engine in the 2007-2011 is pretty solid right? not many problems? Thanks everybody for your help and advice!

Last edited by Grin-n-Barrett; 11-05-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

Ok first off try and look for 2012 and up models. The engine is sooo much better. From what you said, you do not need new axles or lockers. I would recomend for you to get a 3 inch lift with 35s cuz it you get 33s, you will regret it. If you get the new engine then you probably won't have to regear. There are endure of used jeeps for sale that already have all that stuff on them and are within your budget.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly recommend the 2012+. My brand new 2012 sport was $24,500. And I'm sure you can find some deals on 2012's with low miles laying around.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:10 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Grin-n-Barrett
... I am mostly going to be DD the thing from work, but on duty free weekends, camping, light wheeling, adventuring on trails, and using it for hunting (logging roads and forest service roads/fire roads, etc) ...

... A few more questions I thought of from my talk was that I should go with a 2012 or newer, (cant because of money reasons. Im looking at spending no more thn 24-25K realistically, and I will probably spend that or less depending on already put on addons from previous owner)because the engines and trannys have alot of problems on the 2007-2011 unlimited? ...
Last question first: The only thing I'd be concerned with on the 3.8s is the auto tranny because of the overheating problems. Easily avoided with the six speed. While the '12s have a way more powerful motor, I take it that when you say "can't", you mean it's not going to happen. There's no point discussing it.

As for what model: Since you owned a TJ are you familiar enough with lockers to know that you want them? Front and rear? I ask, because the Rubi's certainly make getting them (and the D44 front axle) easy. Because of your description of how you plan to use the Jeep, I wonder why you are concerned about lockers and a stronger front axle. I use my X pretty hard, and it has lockers front and rear (that rarely see use, go figure), and I'm still going strong at 127K miles. I've done some front axle upgrades (check out my signature or profile page) to strengthen it, however. Not trying to say this is the way you should go--but just to give you an idea of what's possible.

As for tires: I ran 33s and never really regretted it. I did upgrade to 35s, and I took about a 2 MPH hit in gas mileage. Can I run tougher trails? Well, I ran some pretty tough trails in both size tires, having been to Moab and many other places around the country in the nearly seven years I've had this Jeep. I'm not even really sure why when the 33s wore out (cupped severely after about 25-30K miles due to bad shocks) I replaced them with 35s. I guess because the "you'll regret it" crowd convinced me I should. Regardless, a few months back when the 35s wore out, I stuck with 35s. Guess at this point I've just gotten comfortable with the way they look. LOL.

Suggest when you have a few hours (because it's pretty long) you look through the Expedition Modded Jeeps thread ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...see-em-181613/

There are some really nice rigs there, and I think this closely resembles what you describe you'll be doing with your Jeep. Check out people's signatures or profiles to learn about their vehicles (if they've filled it out). Lots of pictures of Jeeps, and places we've taken them.

BTW: Here's mine on 33s ...

and on 35s ...

Old 11-04-2013, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for your service!
Old 11-04-2013, 01:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend a jku sport with 2.5 metalcloak and 35s then upgrade the others later just my opinion though.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:04 PM
JK Junkie

I'd do a rubicon right away if you are wanting a full capable jeep. Here's what I suggested to last guy in our group that is a 90 % DD and occasionally Offroad 2013 Rubicon 4.5 AEV with 37's Toyo's EVO Guessets 4.88 gears Teraflex rear carrier He drove it from Minnesota to Colorado offroaded 4 days including trails like Chinamans Gultch Then drove it North to South Dakota did several Camp 5 trails as well then home again to Minnesota with no issues. Later on he plans on upgrading various drive train and armor stuff but is really happy
You don't have to go that big but AEV has great kits out there for DD people plus they are really Offroad capable
Old 11-04-2013, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BubbaJK2012
I'd do a rubicon right away if you are wanting a full capable jeep. Here's what I suggested to last guy in our group that is a 90 % DD and occasionally Offroad 2013 Rubicon 4.5 AEV with 37's Toyo's EVO Guessets 4.88 gears Teraflex rear carrier He drove it from Minnesota to Colorado offroaded 4 days including trails like Chinamans Gultch Then drove it North to South Dakota did several Camp 5 trails as well then home again to Minnesota with no issues. Later on he plans on upgrading various drive train and armor stuff but is really happy You don't have to go that big but AEV has great kits out there for DD people plus they are really Offroad capable
Sorry, but I bet a good 90+% of jeep owners would never use that rig to its full potential. Just be careful how you use that phrase "fully capable". For most, a sport with 2" lift and 33's or 35's is PLENTY capable. But for the right person, that is def a good setup there

Last edited by kh202; 11-04-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

Best thing about a jeep is you can do anything u want to them!! I'm only 20 so I don't have much $$ and am picky, I welded up a front tubular bumper with stinger an tow hooks for $50 I have a RC 3 1/2in lift which I love. I know I enjoy mudding but as a DD tires that will last maybe a year or two for twice the price isn't what I want. All terrain is what I'm shooting for, but just depends on what your wanting your jeep to go thru. I'm focusing mine on trails some rivers and mud here n there. I'm not gonna go full out lift and tires for Moab but enough to climb. Lots of jeeps out there and I like mine to b custom with what I made. Not downing on AEV or any other bumper manufacturers. Just like to know that I am the only one who has is lol
Old 11-04-2013, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Definitely save for the 12!!!

Quick Reply: Help out a deployed sailor, by teaching me before I Buy my Jeep when I return.