Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help.. Smoke while towing

Old 10-16-2013, 03:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help.. Smoke while towing

So I was towing some guy that got stuck at the beach and I was pulling him gently 1st gear around 3000 - 4000 revs and smoke started coming out of the hood on the front right side. I was on 2wd when I pulled and my temperature indicator didnt show any signs of overheating.... should I be concerned or no?
Old 10-16-2013, 03:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the future, you should be in 4low for that kind of stuff. Slow and steady as well. As for any issues you may have, couldn't tell you. Just keep an eye on it.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the advice.. I just drove it around town for a while to see if all was good and it's looking ok... a weird smell though, kind of similar to burnt clutch
Old 10-16-2013, 06:30 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by lkbdxb
Thanks for the advice.. I just drove it around town for a while to see if all was good and it's looking ok... a weird smell though, kind of similar to burnt clutch
That's what I was thinking it was when I read your first post.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFHwzmzt8GE&feature=youtube_gdata_player Towing or doing burn outs? Lol
Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is your Jeep a manual trans, or automatic?

If it's a manual, I'm guessing you effectively resurfaced your clutch by buffing it with the engine's flywheel. There's only so much magic smoke that comes out before it won't work anymore, and the magic smoke can't be put back in. When pulling, you need to use your gears and momentum. It's the vehicular equivalent of "lift with your legs, not your back."

If it's an automatic, you probably baked some tranny fluid in the torque converter. The JK does not have a trans temp gauge and I'm not even sure it's got a warning light.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:35 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by jk_sea
... The JK does not have a trans temp gauge and I'm not even sure it's got a warning light.
If it doesn't, then it's an older model that hasn't been taken in for recall to implement one in software. But, I think OP was putting too much stress on the clutch in a manual. It may be old and starting to slip. If so, now it will get worse that much faster.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

It's a manual trans 09 jk. The drive now is fine... I just get the smell from time to time though and the god damn death wobble which I need to get fixed
Old 10-16-2013, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jk_sea

When pulling, you need to use your gears and momentum. It's the vehicular equivalent of "lift with your legs, not your back.".
I need to learn how to tow people
Old 10-16-2013, 10:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I need to learn how to tow people
4hi or 4lo (depending on how stuck the other guy is) is a good place to start. Maybe it's overkill... but it puts less stress on your jeep.

Quick Reply: Help.. Smoke while towing