Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hood floating up?

Old 11-26-2014, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you could just remove the spring from the front of the hood latch. No more flutter

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 11-26-2014, 03:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Daystar ones and they work great. Easy install too.

Drake makes nice one too. A little fancier than the Daystar and little more $$$ too
Old 11-26-2014, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This phenomena is not a "problem", it is an effect of air pressure under the hood and it is not unique to the JK. Different "remedies" can negate the effect but as long as you have functioning hood latches, nothing is going to happen. Some people change their hood latches, I'd rather spend that money on something more useful.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
This phenomena is not a "problem", it is an effect of air pressure under the hood and it is not unique to the JK. Different "remedies" can negate the effect but as long as you have functioning hood latches, nothing is going to happen. Some people change their hood latches, I'd rather spend that money on something more useful.
Search and you can find at least two cases where the safety latch stopped the hood when a latch failed. There may have been laundry bills.

"Air dam removal causes the problem" is nonsense. I have 150K miles on my Jeep, many miles with the air dam and without while still stock bumper and height, and stand firmly behind that statement.

Daystar latches reduce, but don't entirely eliminate the problem, and are unnecessarily difficult to use.

Spring removal, ditto not a complete solution, plus the inconvenience of the hood not popping up.

JeepSWAG.com has an elegant solution, but it never sold well. 1/2" bar that takes up gap between hood safety latch and radiator crossbar (the ****REAL**** cause of hood dance). Contact Brett directly for info.

Zip-ties are the most cost effective solution. Carry a couple spares (11") since the sun takes its toll and they break. If you can't open your hold without cutting them, you're doing it wrong.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 11-26-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

I put on the Drake hold-downs -- no more flutter. Hood flutter can distract the driver, especially if you're doing some evasive driving at the time. First happened to me when it was completely stock, shortly after purchase (used, 10K miles).

Last edited by Mr.T; 11-26-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree the Daystars are tougher/ tighter to use but don't think it's a problem.

I had them on my 07 and now my '10.

I'm not familiar with what Mark Doiron suggested but he always gives solid advice.

Definitely worth checking out
Old 11-26-2014, 07:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend has eliminate all of his hood flutter when he added an AEV heat reduction hood. The vents in these hoods give the air an escape path.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
You can replace your hood latches, but it isn't necessary. As long as they are properly latched, your hood will not fly open. I have yet to hear about any stock Jeep having the hood fly open or the latches to completely break.
There was a lady couple years back that had hers fly open and completely smash her windshield and frame. It was a freak fluke though. Fwiw I just use some 11incj zip ties and it works great for flutter.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I killed two birds with one stone. Mopar Hood lock. In place it locks the hood down with no movement at all even with the latches undone. Just don't ever leave your keys under the hood then close it, it locks automatically.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RoysRig
I killed two birds with one stone. Mopar Hood lock. In place it locks the hood down with no movement at all even with the latches undone. Just don't ever leave your keys under the hood then close it, it locks automatically.
Who would do that? LOL!

Quick Reply: Hood floating up?