Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

hood straps?

Old 06-14-2008, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove cross country on the highway and had no problem. I must be lucky.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought loosening things and flappy things came with age
Old 06-15-2008, 12:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I did the zip-tie mod. Can barely tell that they are even there. And it stopped the bounce cold. I think I'll wait to see if any further mod's are needed.

I started with the Spring removal and that corrected about 85% of the bounce. Did the Zip tie route and now she's solid and aint had even a shudder. Forget the daystars and save the cash....just take out the spring and do the zips.........
Old 06-15-2008, 07:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by deconstructionist
I started with the Spring removal and that corrected about 85% of the bounce. Did the Zip tie route and now she's solid and aint had even a shudder. Forget the daystars and save the cash....just take out the spring and do the zips.........
I just removed the spring on mine, going to see how it works.

I just wanted to know, are there any negatives besides not having the spring to aide in opening the hood? I'm concerned since the hood now lies down lower whether there will be any rubbing issues where paint is involved.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DeepSky
I just removed the spring on mine, going to see how it works.

I just wanted to know, are there any negatives besides not having the spring to aide in opening the hood? I'm concerned since the hood now lies down lower whether there will be any rubbing issues where paint is involved.

I've had mine done now for about 6 or 7 weeks and no rubbing issues that I've seen: about the only negative is YOU have to remember for yer'self and for any techs working on it to NOT drop the hood-- I went in for an oil change and they were more than happy that I said I removed the spring & they promised not to drop 'er down.

If I do see any rubbing issues-- I've already got some thin dense foam strips lying around that would probablly stop it. With the addtion of the Zip ties that thing is DOWN to stay unless I unlatch it.

After all the reads about how exceptionally and extremely difficult it is with the daystars to get 'em latched and unlatched-- I tried this poor man's route....and so far I'm glad & get to put that woulda-spent money on somthin else.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its less of an age thing and more a quality of the rubber batch,, my 07 got 22k miles on it and the hood barely moved at all, even to 100mph.. My 08 with just over 3k is bad at 65mph..

Quick Reply: hood straps?