Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hothead headliner

Old 10-26-2009, 06:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wmcvey
Just put these up, took some shots with my cell phone. Hope this works.
Definitely looks factory and looks to fit really well.

Also for the guys who mentioned the glue smell, I'd imagine much like real new car smell it will stop offgassing relatively soon.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Freak

I installed the Hothead liners too. I also had a paint shop paint the interior of the hardtop shell black. Mark at Hotheads seemed just a little reluctant to sell me the straight black headliners but the match is perfect (even thought the picture makes the headliner look gray).

Old 10-27-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Fathom
I installed the Hothead liners too. I also had a paint shop paint the interior of the hardtop shell black. Mark at Hotheads seemed just a little reluctant to sell me the straight black headliners but the match is perfect (even thought the picture makes the headliner look gray).

See, now this was really helpful for me, since I have my hardtop painted black on the inside and I've also got black and charcoal grey leather seats, so I wanted something darker than stock. Glad to know you found it to be a great match.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
See, now this was really helpful for me, since I have my hardtop painted black on the inside and I've also got black and charcoal grey leather seats, so I wanted something darker than stock. Glad to know you found it to be a great match.
My painter had the headliner to match to, but I have to say he did a great job matching the "sheen" of the fabric. Definately not matt black but not gloss either.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hotheads Representative

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Glue smell

Hey guys,
just thought I'd address the glue smell issue real quick for anybody thinking about buying a set of my headliners. I'm sure all of you that have them already know that the smell does disappear. The glue is an industrial automotive contact cement that I've been using for carpet, headliners, & door panels in cars for years. The smell is quite strong but dissipates completely in a short time. I guess the problem is that as soon as the headliners are made they are put into their plastic slips so they don't get dirty. I hadn't thought of the smell going in the slips with them. What I'll do in the future is let the headliners air out a bit before putting them in plastic. Hopefully that will eliminate the odor issue.
Thanks for all of your posts
Mark
Old 11-03-2009, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mcambrose
Hey guys,
just thought I'd address the glue smell issue real quick for anybody thinking about buying a set of my headliners. I'm sure all of you that have them already know that the smell does disappear. The glue is an industrial automotive contact cement that I've been using for carpet, headliners, & door panels in cars for years. The smell is quite strong but dissipates completely in a short time. I guess the problem is that as soon as the headliners are made they are put into their plastic slips so they don't get dirty. I hadn't thought of the smell going in the slips with them. What I'll do in the future is let the headliners air out a bit before putting them in plastic. Hopefully that will eliminate the odor issue.
Thanks for all of your posts
Mark

Mark: Honestly I barely noticed it and I have a big nose!
(it's gone now err the smell not my nose)
Old 11-03-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Default Same here

The smell is mostly gone in mine after a week and that is with cold weather without allowing it to air out.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

From what I understand the main purpose of these is to deflect some of the heat in high temps, but does anyone have any experience with these to retain some of the internal heat in the colder temps?
Old 11-03-2009, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R0ck
From what I understand the main purpose of these is to deflect some of the heat in high temps, but does anyone have any experience with these to retain some of the internal heat in the colder temps?
That's one of the reasons that I got the headliner kit from Mark.........well that and the fact that I hate the look of white hardtop interior.

I don't have any experience yet with how well the headliner will retain heat, but the temps here in Ontario are starting to drop now (it got up to about 10C / 50F this afternoon) so hopefully I'll be able to provide an update in a few weeks.

Oh yeah, the glue smell took about 4 or 5 days to disappear.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received my liner yesterday and installed this morning in about a half an hour.

Must say, those were the best packaged items I've ever received. I'm very impressed with the meticulous attention to detail as well.

Thanks Mark.

Quick Reply: Hothead headliner