Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is a Hybrid Wrangler Good Enough for You?

Old 02-04-2016, 11:46 AM
JK-Forum Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Hybrid Wrangler Good Enough for You?

We know you're chomping at the bit to own a next-gen Wrangler diesel, but what about a hybrid model? Is a hybrid Jeep Wrangler good enough for you?

Read the rest on the JK Forum homepage. >>
Old 02-04-2016, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Given the number of Wranglers that never see an inch of off-road driving, I would think a hybrid is a natural choice. It could substantially improve gas mileage, which is one of the biggest complaints from Wrangler owners. I think all of the so-called "soccer moms" and others using Wranglers (particularly Unlimiteds) as tough-looking family-toters tooling around suburbia to places like the mall and little Johnny's school and Starbucks would be all over a hybrid Wrangler, far more than a diesel. Bear in mind, this is probably the majority, if not the vast majority, of Wrangler sales.

But for that tenth of a percent to however many (1%? 2% max?) who actually intentionally drive their Wranglers off road as at least a frequent secondary use, or for the extreme fringe for whom off-road is the primary purpose, I would bet a hybrid drivetrain is not going to be a hit. All of the extra weight is going to be tough to carry off road and make things far more likely to break. And I think there'll be some concern over the general trailworthiness of the drivetrain parts. Will those bearings, batteries, charging systems, etc. all hold up when submerged in muddy water, jostled, pinged off of big rocks, etc.? I'd say probably yes, eventually, but if Wrangler owners' reactions to other changes are any indicator, I bet it'll take a decade or more of field trial before they will warm up to hybrids off-road.

I personally don't have an interest in either a hybrid or a diesel Wrangler. Mostly I have no interest in hybrid anything, and diesel is just not an economic good idea for most American-market cars. But I think in the broad sense both will be vital market enablers for FCA.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No on the hybrid. I am interested in a Diesel and have been ever since 2007.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Diesel is the only reason I'd buy a new wrangler. Don't need to worry about dual power train issues.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue
No on the hybrid. I am interested in a Diesel and have been ever since 2007.
I might have been interested in a diesel *in* 2007, but the modern diesel and its extreme emissions restrictions are no longer desirable.

Give me a modern gasoline V8. Pure and simple.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arjeeper
I might have been interested in a diesel *in* 2007, but the modern diesel and its extreme emissions restrictions are no longer desirable. Give me a modern gasoline V8. Pure and simple.

Not sure why you say that 2007 they had emissions junk on them just as now. There actually getting more fuel efficient and powerful. Not to mention the lower end torque and more longevity out of the block.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Riflejk
Not sure why you say that 2007 they had emissions junk on them just as now. There actually getting more fuel efficient and powerful. Not to mention the lower end torque and more longevity out of the block.
True. 2007 was probably already too late.

I know the big truck diesels tend to have a long life span, but is that the case with these little modern diesels?
Old 02-04-2016, 06:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by arjeeper
True. 2007 was probably already too late.

I know the big truck diesels tend to have a long life span, but is that the case with these little modern diesels?
They have done pretty good. Even the VW ones are efficient. They just gamed the EPA. That same engine was o.k. in Europe the way it was. Jeep has shipped Wranglers from Toledo to other countries with diesels since 2007. The bottom line is government agencies including the EPA do not like diesels while the are accepted in Europe.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no on both options. i want simpler and easier to work on not substancially more complicated and expencive to fix.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
no on both options. i want simpler and easier to work on not substancially more complicated and expencive to fix.
Been a long time since I fooled around with a diesel but they were always simpler. Fuel & compression = fire = go.

Quick Reply: Is a Hybrid Wrangler Good Enough for You?