Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I need a decent grease gun

Old 08-31-2018, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts
Default I need a decent grease gun

I don't know what it is with me and grease guns, but they just seem to frustrate me. Maybe I need to watch some instructional videos or take some classes on how to properly load and prime a cartridge, reading the included instructions just hasn't worked very well for me. No one has ever shown me how to properly load a grease gun cartridge where I often find myself thinking I'm doing it properly only to get that cartridge in there, pumping the trigger a 100 times with no grease coming out. Then I follow that by pulling and releasing the plunger multiple times, opening/closing the screw valve, etc, etc, etc, where I eventually get grease spewing out from the top of the gun, losing half the grease from the brand new cartridge but some how and some way unknown to me, eventually I get grease to pump out from the gun like it is supposed to. Then I go to put the hose fitting on the zerks, the hose fitting then keeps popping off the zerk as I try to pump the grease, so I then hold the hose onto the zerk with one hand while pumping the trigger with the other, and then grease starts oozing out from between the hose and the metal fitting that is on the zerk. I then find myself trying to squeeze the area between the hose and the fitting to stop the grease from leaking out the side and eventually get just enough grease pumped into the parts I'm trying to get it into, but never without making a huge mess of things and wasting a large majority of the grease of a brand new grease cartridge I've loaded into the gun. When I greased the TF ball joints I recently installed, I swear I used up an entire 14oz cartridge of grease where 80% of it seemed like it landed on the floor of my garage, another 5% was all over the outside of the gun, another 10% was on my hands and a couple shop rags, and 1% eventually made it into the joint I was trying to grease.

I'm done with these shenanigans!!!! I need help!

Can someone provide me some advise on where to purchase a decent grease gun? One that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? One that holds onto the zerk fittings? All while being idiot proof in being able to load and prime a 14oz grease cartridge into it, since the ones I've used so far have definitely made me feel like an idiot? Am I the only one who struggles with grease guns?...because I could definitely use some peer support with my current ineptness when it comes to grease guns.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-31-2018 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

LOL, searching for the Holy Grail. People who claim to understand and use a grease gun proficiently, are the same people that claim to have never masterbated in their life. I'm right there with you. There should be a support group for this.

When in Moab a couple weeks ago....I had to drop and grease dumb front DS. Well, grease gun is the one thing I didn't take. It was so damn frustrating to have to go down to auto store and buy another grease gun, when I already had 2 at home that I have an on-again/off-again relationship with. Salt in the wound was plunking money on just "whatever they have in stock". I have enough grease now to last a decade before having to reload a cartridge.

I'm going to add to your questions..........My grease guns stay in the garage, where it gets a little warm in Texas. If I store them upright I get oily leaks from the the underside by the plunger. If I use some teflon tape on the threads, I seem to be better off storing the gun upside down, but this seems odd, and sometimes still gives me a leak, as does laying them on their side which wastes a lot of space. Is there some magical way to keep these dumb things from making a leaky mess?

I always feel like a grease idiot.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Is there some magical way to keep these dumb things from making a leaky mess?
I lock the rod back just enough to take the load off the piston. The grease will not be under pressure. It helps a lot, but there is probably no way to prevent all oil leakage when stored for long periods.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Nah, they are a pain! Sometimes priming I have better luck if I unscrew the body tube just a little from the head while I pump it to let the air out if I cant get it to go with the bleed screw thing. Sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't. If it is leaking at the fitting at the end of the hose, then the fitting needs to be tightened (doesn't always help). Also, I'm not sure where they got them, but at our shop at work some of the guns have locking fittings, so you don't have to hold them onto the zerk. Idk.

Grease guns always leave me a cussing greasy filthy mess. And mine also leaks all over everything in the heat of the garage.
The following users liked this post:
jdinny (02-28-2019)
Old 08-31-2018, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tjkamp
Also, I'm not sure where they got them, but at our shop at work some of the guns have locking fittings, so you don't have to hold them onto the zerk.
Well, I can help you out there. I was shopping on Amazon trying to find this magical grease gun where my search results did show some separate zerk locking fittings.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H7LPKKU?aaxitk=5UUjSwNoOeqPDUp8-85HWg&pd_rd_i=B00H7LPKKU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=54dc821a-0937-4e6f-9da9-f8dd5443145d&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=Grease+gun&hsa_cr_id=4595409430901&sb-ci-n=productDescription&sb-ci-v=LockNLube%20Grease%20Coupler%20locks%20onto%20Zerk%20fittings.%20Grease%20goes%20in%2C%20not%20on%20the%20machine.%20World%27s%20best-selling%20original%20locking%20grease%20coupler.%20Rated%2010%2C000%20PSI.%20Long-lasting%20rebuildable%20tool.

However, while I was reading reviews on multiple grease guns on Amazon, many of them outlined the same type of frustrations I'm having with the ones I have now.

This quest for a good grease gun without the typical frustrations is starting to seem futile.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-31-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll

This quest for a good grease gun without the typical frustrations is starting to seem futile.
I've been on the same quest since the late '60s.

Greasing the JK is easy. Try greasing this little gem before each use with the best grease gun you can find. There's at least 50 fittings.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

How lame, I'm actually on Google doing some searches and reading grease gun comparison ranking review articles.

Came across this site and got a kick out of reading the 1st paragraph.
https://toolsinsider.org/best-grease-gun-reviews/
"Why You Need a Grease Gun"

A grease gun is an essential tool that will make the process of lubrication much easier. No they don't! They make my life miserable trying to use them.
This will allow you to lubricate the exact place and as such, you will reduce wastage. Are you kidding me? I wasted an entire 14oz. tube of grease trying to get 1/2oz. of grease into my ball joints!
The lubricant is sprayed at the right place and this will enhance the saturation giving you the best results. Only if the right place is all over my hands and all the surrounding areas I'm trying to grease!
Ultimately, you will work with greater speeds, accuracy and efficiency. Woah!! Hold up there buddy. Ultimately, You couldn't be more incorrect! Watch me work with my grease gun and I'll demonstrate to you the model of slow speed, inaccuracy and most definitely very inefficient.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I had/ have an air compressor grease gun and that helps with keeping the fitting against the zerk and filling it. The issue that I have is sometimes it sticks and shoots grease everywhere. .......cannot recommend the air compressor grease guns and like everyone else, I struggle with the standard gun. I think I'd rather manually load the grease than bother with the cartridge.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Make a station like this in your garage for grease gun storage. I’d still follow Ron’s advice about pulling the plunger back a shade to keep pressure off the thing.

There definitely is no holy grail in grease gun categories. If you’re having issues with it not pumping grease out, I’ve always found it effective to bang the top of the gun against a hard surface.
The following users liked this post:
karls10jk (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Sometimes I feel like it helps if I cuss at it, a lot! Sometimes it doesn't seem to have any effect. Lol!

Tube before last something failed and it leaked past the plunger inside the gun, and nothing would come out, when I pulled the handle back thinking I had run out of grease, it was stuck and I had to pull as hard as I could. When I did, the entire tube's worth shot through the slot nest to the handle all over me and the garage and everything else.

Lots of cussing that day.

Quick Reply: I need a decent grease gun