Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The Importance of changing out stock track bar and lower control arm bolts

Old 01-22-2012, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed my JKS track bars and replaced the hardware. My OE bars showed little signs of the OE threads starting to eat into them. Good job Chrysler. The other thing I found was the bolts broke free at no where near 125 pounds. Factory can't even seem to follow their own torque spec -- maybe the fellow that torqued mine down was at the park that afternoon?? Only 4400 miles on my ride.

Great thread and hopefully a lot less headaches down the road with this fix. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just wanted to note to people that the 9/16" bolts evidently have to have threads the whole length of the bolt.
I tried to change the track bar bolts this weekend on my basically stock 11' but unfortunately the bolts didn't have threads their whole length; they wouldn't go into the track bar mounting holes.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by navin r
Just wanted to note to people that the 9/16" bolts evidently have to have threads the whole length of the bolt.
I tried to change the track bar bolts this weekend on my basically stock 11' but unfortunately the bolts didn't have threads their whole length; they wouldn't go into the track bar mounting holes.
Hmmm are you sure? Most people are using shoulder bolts here... Or am I missing something?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

They definately would not go in. The threaded part I could screw in, when it came to the shoulder it was stopped dead. I tried for quite seom time with a ratchet on it and pushing as hard as I could; no go. Posssibly if it was out in the open it could be hammered in with a bmfh but that's not the way to put something together, I had wd40 on it too. I re-ordered some other bolts that are supposed to have full threads; I'll try those when they arrive.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 PM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, got my first death wobble yesterday! Exiting freeway hit a rough patch and whammo! I had to stomp on the breaks and almost stop to get my front wheels to stop bouncing! I have a 2010 2-door with the Mopar factory 2" lift, and with stock 32" tires I never thought I'd have this happen. Anyway, should I just go ahead and order these bolts, or wait until I bring the JK into the dealer and have them look it over? Maybe I can get them to install the bolts even? Do these bolts really help? BTW, I only have 4K miles on the critter, sheesh.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

If your doing this project in the Charlotte area PM me and I will point you in the direction of a local company that has the bolts needed(grade 8). I cost me less than $35.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blw
OK, got my first death wobble yesterday! Exiting freeway hit a rough patch and whammo! I had to stomp on the breaks and almost stop to get my front wheels to stop bouncing! I have a 2010 2-door with the Mopar factory 2" lift, and with stock 32" tires I never thought I'd have this happen. Anyway, should I just go ahead and order these bolts, or wait until I bring the JK into the dealer and have them look it over? Maybe I can get them to install the bolts even? Do these bolts really help? BTW, I only have 4K miles on the critter, sheesh.
I am a believer in shouldered 9/16 bolts. There IS a difference !!!! I have gone over the same expansion joints at different speeds and turning angles where my death wobble would get induced after I Installed the we bolts. The Jeep handled like a charm!!!!!! This maybe the holy grail to the majority of death wobble problems! plain always said it was track bar related! Physics also prove that shouldered bolts handle stress better than the fully grooved bolts.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I heard on Northridge's facebook that they will have a kit for this by next week
Old 01-25-2012, 05:15 PM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BuckLisa
I am a believer in shouldered 9/16 bolts. There IS a difference !!!! I have gone over the same expansion joints at different speeds and turning angles where my death wobble would get induced after I Installed the we bolts. The Jeep handled like a charm!!!!!! This maybe the holy grail to the majority of death wobble problems! plain always said it was track bar related! Physics also prove that shouldered bolts handle stress better than the fully grooved bolts.
Encouraging! Did you replace the just the track bar bolts, or do the lower control arms, too? My bolts just got shipped out by Quadratec, and I was thinking of just trying the track bar at first to see how much it helps.

Last edited by blw; 01-25-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

I have only replaced front and rear track bar bolts.

Quick Reply: The Importance of changing out stock track bar and lower control arm bolts