Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The Importance of changing out stock track bar and lower control arm bolts

Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got these the other day and only had time to do the front control arms and it is noticeable already while driving. Maybe it's in my head, but I think I can tell. Can't wait to drive my jeep once the rest are finished
Old 12-07-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

This could be a dumb question but ill ask anyway... I noticed that the trackbar bolts are a bit longer than the stock bolts I replaced. Is there a chance of them rubbing the axle when it does flex upward. The drivers side bracket bolt is what I'm referring to...wondered if anyone else has noticed, is it okay?? Or a concern?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JLsJK
This could be a dumb question but ill ask anyway... I noticed that the trackbar bolts are a bit longer than the stock bolts I replaced. Is there a chance of them rubbing the axle when it does flex upward. The drivers side bracket bolt is what I'm referring to...wondered if anyone else has noticed, is it okay?? Or a concern?
I thought the same thing....but no issues what so ever.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

Thanks.. I left it in there thinking northridge knows what there doing...........ahh it'll be fine. Anyways got all mine in and had an alignment done after I swapped some springs and the guy that drove my jeep said it is the best driving jeep he's driven. These bolts make a difference. So if your in doubt, it's worth it. More sold feeling jeep all around..!! Thanks Dave and Northridge 4x4 and whoever uncovered this...
Old 12-08-2012, 02:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I bought the Northridge bolt kit off a guy who sold his Jeep before installing them. He didn't send any instructions on which bolts go where. Can anyone help me with this? It would be much appreciated. Also, I'll need to know how much to torque them.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the kit has two extra bolts now that are specific to the 2012+ models, but my kit came with two bolt sizes. You'll notice that the lengths are very different. 4 short ones are for the trackbar, front and rear, and 8 are for the lower control arms front and rear. Torque to 125 pounds.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy JK

I want to thank everyone for the input thus far. I have been off the grid for the last week so I haven't been able to respond to this thread... I am going to spend some time under the rig this weekend and will report back what I find. Thanks again
So I was finally able to get under my rig this weekend and I found what I believe to be the problem. The holes on the brackets for the front track bar are worn out. The hole on the backside of the frame side bracket is ovaled out and the bolt moves all around inside it. The front hole is tight but the damage is clear on the back.
On the axle side bracket both holes are loose and the bolt moves all around. I took some videos to show what's happening but it looks like I can only post pictures...
I seem to remember seeing somewhere in the thread about someone else having this problem but don't remember what needs to be done to fix it. Thanks in advance for your help with this. I am ready to have this project behind me so I can start working on some other mods!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3039339390.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	399494
This is the frame side bracket. I don't have a picture of the axle side, just a video. If there is a way to post videos let me know and I will put them on here. Thanks again
Old 12-22-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

?????????.......
Old 12-22-2012, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy JK
?????????.......
You can post the video on youtube and copy the link to it..
Old 12-22-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by horrocks007
I think the kit has two extra bolts now that are specific to the 2012+ models, but my kit came with two bolt sizes. You'll notice that the lengths are very different. 4 short ones are for the trackbar, front and rear, and 8 are for the lower control arms front and rear. Torque to 125 pounds.
Thank you!!!

Quick Reply: The Importance of changing out stock track bar and lower control arm bolts