Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The Importance of changing out stock track bar and lower control arm bolts

Old 12-11-2016, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I purchased a set of the 9/16 grade 8 bolts from Northridge 4x4 which arrived Friday. Installed all the bolts yesterday on my 2011 JK 2 door with the assistance of an impact wrench and a friend. Removing the old bolts was easy, and the installation of the new bolts only required us to use a ratchet strap on one bolt to align the bolt holes.
The trac bars have the spherical bushings which appeared to be in good condition.
The entire evolution took about 90 minutes including the torquing of the bolts.
None of the bushing holes, brackets or bolts showed any indications of wear or movement.
Drove the Jeep to our local Jeep Christmas party; the difference in vehicle ride and tightness of the suspension was quite noticeable. The Jeep handles much better on the open road; the steering response has never been this good.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My apologizes if this has already been answered. I just purchased a 2012 JKR with around 7,900 miles and it had the TeraFlex lift Wshocks part number 1255200 installed when new. Does anyone know if the lift included Trackbar bolts that would have already addressed this issue or do I still need to replace the factory bolts? The Jeep drives very well to be lifted no shakes, or wobbles that I have noticed this is my 3rd Rubi 2004, 2007 and now the 12. Thank you
Old 12-16-2016, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Tereflex lift kit description and video online does not indicate that the track bar bolts are provided in the kit. You would have to check you particular vehicle lift to see if the factory bolts were reused or replaced.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:32 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by HospitalTech
My apologizes if this has already been answered. I just purchased a 2012 JKR with around 7,900 miles and it had the TeraFlex lift Wshocks part number 1255200 installed when new. Does anyone know if the lift included Trackbar bolts that would have already addressed this issue or do I still need to replace the factory bolts? The Jeep drives very well to be lifted no shakes, or wobbles that I have noticed this is my 3rd Rubi 2004, 2007 and now the 12. Thank you
I'll say this again: I think way too much is made out of this bolt clearance. Of primary importance are clean, flat surfaces on the bolt sleeves and the mounts, and of course proper torque. Paint chips, dings, and displaced metal from wallowed out holes will cause the bolt to eventually loosen.

The steel sleeve inside each rubber bushing (on the ends of the trackbar) are captured by compression of the mount against the faces of the sleeve.

Unless this friction from compression on the sleeve faces is overcome, and the sleeve moves, it simply does not matter how much clearance there is between the bolt and sleeve.

Last edited by Mr.T; 12-16-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: The Importance of changing out stock track bar and lower control arm bolts