JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Insurance Company Recommendation (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/insurance-company-recommendation-324849/)

Neil997 08-05-2015 12:44 PM

Insurance Company Recommendation

I have a heavily modified JKU and was just talking with my State Farm agent. Apparently, they just insure for the base Jeep Sport (which my VIN ties back to) and will not insure all of the mods (about $15K at this point). So... time to look for a new insurance company for the Jeep. Any recommendations or experience with an insurance company who will insure the actual value of the fully modified Jeep?

rob_engineer 08-05-2015 01:34 PM

Not sure about the jeep, but I have progressive for my Harley. They let me specify a certain $ amount in upgrades.

Mark Doiron 08-05-2015 03:12 PM

Most will. You just have to buy a rider policy. I bet State Farm will if you ask. Be prepared for the cost: It is pricey.

A.W.D.eLussey 08-05-2015 03:43 PM

You should look into a policy that covers based on "agreed upon value". Classic car insurance companies like Grundy do this, but often you need to negotiate the value and provide an appraisal from a professional. The price differential can often prohibit it from being worth your time. Many times, Mods don't actually improve the value of the vehicle, they're usually viewed as a personal preference. Good luck.

Just in joy 08-05-2015 09:28 PM

From Working with an insurance company Prior to me working back to a body shop.

AMFAM you could add additional coverage to your policy for the added Items But this will not be dollar for dollar. remember you take something off to add something to the vehicle and Most times the items you take off cost more than the after market items you add on. Depending on how much you have tied up into your rig you may want to get a stated value policy but you will Pay dearly for it. and that dollar amount will also not be Guaranteed as you will have to do this every year by a lics Appraiser. The insurance will do the same when a Loss happens also. Every insurance company is different you may have to shop around to get the best fit. Progressive for motorcycles is the Best company to have for both Bikes and RV's Autos no so much they will put used and a/m parts all over your vehicle.

Adding Sleeves gussets Lift will not add much if any value to the vehicle. Same with wheels and tires, Rocker rails will ad some value. And Most adjusters will not have a clue what you are talking about unless they are in to Off roading and jeeps.

Neil997 08-06-2015 10:53 AM

Well... while State Farm will not do a "Stated Value" policy to cover the Jeep, it looks like Farmers Insurance will. Fingers crossed that it's not going to cost me more than the Jeep itself!

jk_sea 08-06-2015 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Neil997 (Post 4130591)
Well... while State Farm will not do a "Stated Value" policy to cover the Jeep, it looks like Farmers Insurance will. Fingers crossed that it's not going to cost me more than the Jeep itself!

Check back and let us know how the quote compares to a regular policy on your Jeep.

Reave 08-06-2015 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Neil997 (Post 4130265)
I have a heavily modified JKU and was just talking with my State Farm agent. Apparently, they just insure for the base Jeep Sport (which my VIN ties back to) and will not insure all of the mods (about $15K at this point). So... time to look for a new insurance company for the Jeep. Any recommendations or experience with an insurance company who will insure the actual value of the fully modified Jeep?

Weird.. My wife and I have state farm for both jeeps... they insured every mod I have. They just requested I keep receipts or invoices for all mods. Your agent sucks.

Radioman 08-07-2015 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Reave (Post 4130681)
Weird.. My wife and I have state farm for both jeeps... they insured every mod I have. They just requested I keep receipts or invoices for all mods. Your agent sucks.

X2 on the receipts and/or invoices for all mods.

TURTLECON 08-08-2015 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Reave (Post 4130681)

Yeah same here. My agent said "If it's on your jeep, it's covered." He even said if I don't have a receipt for a part but can find it on the Internet, that's good enough too. Find a new agent.