Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Insuring the Jeep recreationally

Old 06-11-2008, 06:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insuring the Jeep recreationally

Been thinking about retiring the Jeep to recreational use only as we have three vehicles and the Jeep is the biggest gas eater.

If anyone does this, how do you keep insurance on it? I'm guessing insurance companies have a special lower rate insurance for "toys?"
Old 06-11-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by N2rock
call you agent.

Yes, they have a lesser rate for non daily drivers. But if you financed it, you'll still be required to carry full coverage. It will be slightly less for a non daily driver, but not much.
What about after it's paid off? This is something they would change on you think?

I'll call them later today.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by N2rock
well if it's paid off, you can switch to liability only insurance which would be dirt cheap. I personally would never do that, but if you're looking for cheap that would be the cheapest way to go.
Yes, it is , but in an accident that is your fault you will cover all your own damages.......
Old 06-11-2008, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did this with my previous 4x4 vehicle that was only being used for off-road and trips to Home Depot. I got a little bit of savings by insuring it for minimal miles per year, but it really was not all that significant since I didn't want to drop the level of insurance or raise the deductible too high. I did this with State Farm if that helps. . . .
Old 06-11-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by KJRubiconWannaBe
If you're really gonna go recreational use only, then you could trailer it to the trails and completely drop the insurance once it's paid off.
I don't recommend dropping insurance no matter how you use it. I got to where I only used my CJ once or twice a year but kept up my liability, medical and uninsured. It was insured as a recreational vehicle driven less than 7500 miles a year for about $25 a month through state farm.

This paid off when I was in an accident in the woods and almost lost my leg. My jeep wasn't involved but since it was there at the time of the accident my policy covered me. Ended up using up all of the insurance coverage of the guy's jeep that hit me as well as mine.

Quick Reply: Insuring the Jeep recreationally