Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

jeep iphone app

Old 08-08-2009, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jeep iphone app

I'm a registered apple iphone developer, and i am looking to develop and app for jeeps (jk in particular cause i have one) . i haven't found a great deal of useful apps in the itunes store for jeeps. so i am on a quest to develop one. so i'm asking the JK community, what would you like to see on an application built for the iphone. think of things that would be useful to you. i have a few ideas like charts of specifications. i am also a mechanic in the air force so i have mechanical expertise. so i don't think anything will be over my head in that area. but i want to know what others would like. so please leave some input and let me know.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck.

diagnostic codes, fluid capacities, torque settings

you doing the ad supported or planning on selling it?

Last edited by racer83l; 08-08-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Iclinmeter
Old 08-08-2009, 12:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by USAF_GroundRat
Iclinmeter
You can already get an inclinometer for about $.99.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

Built in inclinometer would be cool. Programming trail guides and track progress on trails using the GPS would be cool. You can do some of this on google maps already, but most trails are not on there. Altitude, Latitude and Longitude in the program. I already have these in some programs I got for free, but it would be nice to have everything in one app. Nearest Jeep dealer, Jeep facts, etc. Emergency contact info for wherever you're at using GPS. Maybe a hologram projector to create a different, smokin' hot, female sitting shotgun everytime you go wheelin? I know, too much to ask
Old 08-08-2009, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

wow that is alot of great ieas. i have seen alot of inclinometers in the app store, but maybe i can work it in a different way. maybe i can have it were you can data log your trail ride and have it give info about key spots on your trail and how you handled it. i'm thinking if you took a clim too steep you could log your position and upload it for others to see and you can add notes on the spot with geo tagged Coordinates. but one of the issues i am working out is mapping that trail. i dont have the man power or resources to map every trail so i would have to use existing maps. i think google maps would be the only ones i can use without having to pay royalties or copyright infringement.

also to answer racer83, yes i will be charging for it but i dont want to charge more that the min (.99)
Old 08-09-2009, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I will suggest an easy idea and a hard one:

1. Easy - Do a web slice to http://www.jk-forum.mobi/ A one button access to the forum.

2. Hard (But worth it) - Write an app with both read/write access to the OBD II on the Jeep. Basically like a procal. Include in the App a copy of the service manual (You will have to check if there is any license fees from the manual owner. If so, incorporate that cost into the app. You may get a good deal as long as they don't change you $200) Next, incorporate a cross reference into the app. When you pull a diag code from the computer, it will take you right to the FSM page where you can go to fix the issue. Add a section were users can add comments and feedback on the FSM section. This will allow people to post better ways to fix and or little fixes.

We have a developer account at work. I will add my phone to the account and can help you test if you would like. Good luck
Old 08-09-2009, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

i would like to make this a social networking app so jeep owners can show and discuss issues about there jeep. i have looked into the OBDII connection and have found 3 manufactures that make connectors for the iphone already and a diagnostic app http://devtoaster.com/products/rev/ . the biggest issue with that is the licensing. I'm sure if i got it it would raise the price of the app substantially. i would like to keep it cheap. i definitely would like to be able to pull the codes and have it send you directly to the Factory Service Manual (FSM) but i don't have the rights to 1. the OBDII connection technology and 2. the use of the FSM. that's all lawyer stuff and I'm only a mechanic/programmer. but i will see what i can do

Last edited by Robar; 08-09-2009 at 06:15 AM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST DIRECT NON SPONSOR LINKS
Old 08-09-2009, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the torque specs idea... maybe a how to on everything for your Jeep. From the simple stuff to the more complex. That way we don't have to constantly thumb through the forums or if we have no service (aka trail) the app can pull it up without needed 3G or wifi access.

Kind of an easy database style idea.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

thats a great idea for people who only have and ipod touch.

Quick Reply: jeep iphone app