Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep problem!! Please help

Old 10-31-2014, 09:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like the drive shaft is too short for the amount of lift. Did you fully droop the wheels when it fell out?

Last edited by 14Sport; 10-31-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by marcelo95sv
Picture2
This is what that is supposed to look like:

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/14844...boot_joint.jpg

Note that your driveshaft has pulled out of the rubber membrane, which seems to have disintegrated or just flew off. The interior of that is filled with grease, which usually as the DS fails spits past the membrane as it gradually tears apart. An occasional inspection under your Jeep, especially if it's lifted, can help to catch these before they become catastrophic failures.

At this point I'd say to fix it properly you need a new driveshaft--preferably an aftermarket one designed for the pinion angles your lift has created. I recommend Tom Woods, though there are other good manufacturers out there as well. Whichever you choose, you want one that will custom cut the length of your driveshaft to fit your lift. They will ask for measurements. If they don't ask for measurements, recommend that you find another DS vendor. After installing the new DS, you'll want to check your pinion angle and ensure that you have it set up for the new shaft. If not properly set up you may experience very light steering wheel feel (like driving on ice) or seat-of-the-pants vibration at higher speeds. Correction for these usually involves adjustable control arms so you can adjust the pinion angle.

If all of the above is Greek to you, recommend that you find a good shop familiar with setting up 4WD vehicles. And, if you used a shop for your lift install--to be honest, I'd recommend avoid them. It really appears they sent you out the door with a set up destined to fail. They should have known that the Rzeppa joint would not handle the demands of your lift. Shame on them.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you mean by fully drop the wheels??? I bought this jeep lifted like a year and a half ago and the only thing ive changed are the tires and wheels (around a month ago) which are the same size as the ones before
Old 10-31-2014, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Mark and my fellow jeepers!! I really appreciate it
Old 10-31-2014, 10:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

BTW, if you want to drive your Jeep, you should be able to pull the front driveshaft by the removing the four bolts at the front differential (the rear of the DS seems to have taken care of the tedious part of pulling that shaft for you, LOL). It's okay to drive around in 2WD, assuming you've not damaged anything else with that DS flopping all around. If you try and hear further odd noise, then there's more amiss. But I think you'll be okay.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by marcelo95sv
What do you mean by fully drop the wheels??? I bought this jeep lifted like a year and a half ago and the only thing ive changed are the tires and wheels (around a month ago) which are the same size as the ones before
Droop. He's asking if the front axle was fully extended down as if crossing a deep cut in a rock. It's at that time that the DS is most extended (it is designed to vary in length, within limits), and that it can pull apart if it's too short.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:46 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Droop. He's asking if the front axle was fully extended down as if crossing a deep cut in a rock.
Exactly. Or on a lift for service. Can't imagine it just pulled out after a year and a half.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

It looks like the CV joint at the transfer case came apart. I am guessing that the slip joint in the center of the driveshaft is bound from age (Rust, dried up grease, etc.) and put stress on the CV joint. The slip joint allows the driveshaft to change length as the axle moves up and down. If you unbolt the front of the driveshaft from the front axle and remove it, you can drive the jeep until it can be fixed.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:29 PM
JK Junkie

It does. I'm not sure how it pulled out though because it doesn't look like it snapped off. Surprising it wasn't making a lot of noise before coming apart with a lack of the boot and grease.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rzeppa.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	582468

Last edited by 14Sport; 10-31-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I looks like the snap ring that holds the inner part of the joint on came off.

Quick Reply: Jeep problem!! Please help