Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The jeep wave is dead

Old 09-10-2011, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya gotta check your expectations dude. By your own admission, YOU were running errands in Urbania. If I'm in traffic, distracted, or in commute mode, I myself don't look around for jeeps. There's too many in our areas anyhow, and I can tell you, I'd feel goofy waving at 20 jeeps (your estimate) on a errand! Now if I'm out cruising back roads, I'm relaxed, and in Jeep mode, a wave seems more appropriate. Because, that's where jeeps live - not on the interstate with Hondas and Hyundai's.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Around here I get at least 75% return waves. From modded and old Jeeps to women in brand new 4 door JK's.

But I would not be flipping anyone the bird who does not wave. There are not so many people around here that we won't meet again. Why make them mad when they probably won't even understand?

Last edited by Yankee; 09-10-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
Only guys that wave down here are modded. I don't even look at the stock jeeps anymore or think about waving to them. What's the point? They really are not jeepers.
Agree with this. Seems like only modded JK rigs will wave. Older models do too.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKPier
My 6 year old daughter figured it out. She said, "daddy, stock jeeps don't wave."

Yup! She knows her stuff!

This nomething new. The Jeep wave started to die when the YJ started selling in 1987. Prior to that, A LOT of us CJ owners were very loyal to the wave.

When the YJ came out and Jeeps started sell to more non-off road Jeep types, the wave began to fade way. It got worse with the TJ and now the JK is almost mainstream.

For now, if someone waves at me or I see a lifted or set up Jeep, I wave. and typically, they get it.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

Only guys that wave down here are modded. I don't even look at the stock jeeps anymore or think about waving to them. What's the point? They really are not jeepers.
Wow so that is how it is were you are from
Old 09-10-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs down

That's why I don't wave to modded Jeeps.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I suggest don't give up!
Most probably don't know about the wave.
When I bought my JK the dealer didn't mention it and there was no DVD about it. I only knew from my CJ days and of course the JK-forum
As to stock Jeep's, well they are still Jeep!!!

I wave to all Jeep's from CJ's to JK Wrangler's

Lets keep it alive, put at least a wave of effort into it
Old 09-10-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

The wave is alive here for the most part. Me and my two boys 8 & 4 ALWAYS wave and we are stock. I even consider myself a real jeeper! The mods will come but just because there aren't any right now dosen't mean we arne't all Jeep. Feeding my two Jeep dudes outweighs modding. They love everything Jeep and I plan to keep them that way so keep on waving. Even when we don't get them returned they still think that all jeepers are cool, The way it should be.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:37 AM
JK Junkie

Great attitude
Old 09-10-2011, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

I wave! I'd say only 10% wave back.

Quick Reply: The jeep wave is dead