Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Who stopped the wave?
JK owners
14.49%
Women
46.96%
Non-JK'ers
19.71%
Bush
28.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Jeep Wave Killers!!! (imo)

Old 06-30-2007, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely see a difference riding in a JK. Many fewer waves.

In my YJ, I got a wave back 90% of the time, and the other 10% was just that the other driver didn't notice me (or at least it appeared that way).

In the JK, I would estimate that I get a wave back 50% of the time.

I really don't get it, because most of the Jeeps I see in my area, just outside of Boston, are stock for the most part and I don't think that the wave indifference is due to a Jeep superiority thing.

If there are any college students out there taking Sociology, this would be an interesting subject for a research paper.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Since getting my JK two weeks ago, I've been waving at every Jeep I see! Some I miss (didn't see them until the last second...when it's too late), but I send out a successful wave most of the time! In fact, I got a wave from the other Jeep owner in my subdivsion on my first trip out after getting the Jeep!

Anyway, I'm 29 and female and have noticed the following about the St. Louis jeep owners:

1. Almost everyone one of them are on the cell phone. As such, I rarely receive waves from these people.

2. I've gotten NO waves back from the few other JK owner's I've seen. One guy looked at me like he was in shock while I waved at him. I guess he wasn't prepared to see a yellow JK! The other are just middle aged women or men who look too preoccupied to even notice me.

3. A lot of times I'll pass (or be passed by) a Jeep on the highway and will look over to initiate a wave, but they don't look back. Is highway waving taboo?

4. The waves I get back are usually from younger guys in the older model Jeeps.

As such...from my observations...I conclude that the cell phone is killing the Jeep Wave. Just hang up and drive, people!
Old 06-30-2007, 07:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent some of my formative years in the Smokey Mountains where everyone waved at everyone driving by.

Now here in Durango, Colorado I still wave to everyone when I'm off the highway and 10:1 wave backs happen south of the highway vs north. Now that I'm in a JK, I wave to all jeeps regardless of where I am. So far, no wave backs. Please some of you come out here and when a guy in a silver Unlimited waves, okay if anybody in a Jeep waves at you, you'll know it's me.

P.S. If you've never been out this way it sure is something to see.
P.P.S. (Even better with your top off)
Old 06-30-2007, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Karla
Since getting my JK two weeks ago, I've been waving at every Jeep I see! Some I miss (didn't see them until the last second...when it's too late), but I send out a successful wave most of the time! In fact, I got a wave from the other Jeep owner in my subdivsion on my first trip out after getting the Jeep!

Anyway, I'm 29 and female and have noticed the following about the St. Louis jeep owners:

1. Almost everyone one of them are on the cell phone. As such, I rarely receive waves from these people.

2. I've gotten NO waves back from the few other JK owner's I've seen. One guy looked at me like he was in shock while I waved at him. I guess he wasn't prepared to see a yellow JK! The other are just middle aged women or men who look too preoccupied to even notice me.

3. A lot of times I'll pass (or be passed by) a Jeep on the highway and will look over to initiate a wave, but they don't look back. Is highway waving taboo?

4. The waves I get back are usually from younger guys in the older model Jeeps.

As such...from my observations...I conclude that the cell phone is killing the Jeep Wave. Just hang up and drive, people!
Thats it! Karla figered it out....its the cell phones
Old 06-30-2007, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wave anytime i see a wrangler and feel bad if i dont notice a wave until it is too late, to those folks I'm sorry.
P.s. what is the protocol for waving at a jeep going in the same direction it feels kind of awkward to look over and wave.(maybe cause i jeep naked) Its usually girls that dont wave back. (again this may be because i jeep naked)
Old 06-30-2007, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Teenager girls killed the wave. Al Gore killed the wave, but he lied and said that he started the wave in the first place.

Must be regional... most everyone waves to me, and it surprises me when someone looks straight at me and doesn't wave back.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:27 AM
-

Originally Posted by HEK
I don't think women don't wave back, I think young girls don't but adult women seem to wave or wave before I wave....and in general I notice that 98% of the folks here in New England go out of their way to wave...even if I'm pulling out of my driveway and someone in a Jeep goes by, they even honk....
thats cuz ur coming out too fast!
Old 06-30-2007, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can't believe you are getting so wound up over this. Some people do not notice if you wave or not. You might want to get a social life. Serial.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ImmortalityLTD
I try to wave at every CJ/YJ/TJ/JK I see, but it seems like the JK (especially hard tops) has drawn an older crowd who don't seem to know about the Jeep wave. I wave anyway, maybe someday they'll get it.
Ditto to what Markp-satx said. I too fall into that over 45 crowd (yeah yeah the silver haired crowd) but wave all the time. At first the waves returned were pretty low in this area but I think as folks realize these actually are Jeeps - the waves have increased.

The wife doesn't initiate the wave for the exact reason given too but my 19 year old daughter goes out of her way to wave everywhere!

We even get waves from all sorts of vehicles that are just interested!

Or maybe I need to stop driving on the sidewalk and in the ditch
Old 06-30-2007, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

i think alot of ppl in suburbia just d ont no about it

Quick Reply: Jeep Wave Killers!!! (imo)