Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Who stopped the wave?
JK owners
14.49%
Women
46.96%
Non-JK'ers
19.71%
Bush
28.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Jeep Wave Killers!!! (imo)

Old 06-30-2007, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been driving Jeeps for over 20 Years now, 2 YJs, 1 XJ and now a TJ since 1999 and considering the JK unlimited right now.

In the begining, everybody would wave, mostly cause Jeep owners were quite rare and were part of some off-road club of some kind. So not only did they actually own a Jeep, chances were that they knew each other personnally. When they saw a Jeep coming, they would wave cause chances were that they knew the coming Jeep. Then, a tradition was created. The YJ years were a bit though cause the square headlights were very stronglydenied by the hard core CJ crowd, until their rigs started going and and the only replacement available were YJs. They then got used to it. The TJ being very user friendly attracted a diverse crowd. Every body and their red fish were driving one and a lot of those yuppies and little school girls who thought that the wave was stupid, never returned a wave. So the real jeepers getting very tired of unreturned waves stopped waving and started to only return the waves instead of initialising it. So now, I can go for a Jeep ride, pass some 15 Jeeps in an hour and no waves at all. In my area, it's dead. Only the guys from the local Jeep club wave and I always return a wave. With the JK being even more user friendly than the TJ, will attract even more yuppies, and in a few years, the wave will be a thing of the past.

But I assure you that the wave was killed by little girls driving TJs. The only thing that could save the wave, would be if the Jeep sales people would take the time to explain the Jeep's intended lifestyle, and tell those new Jeep owners to not be suprised if they get waved at by other Jeep owners, and that a returned wave is expected because it's a Jeep thing and those who don't understand or don't want to, should buy FJ cruisers.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK warm up the flamethrowers cause here goes. I've been a biker most of my life and a similar thing has happened over time. It was a lifestyle and there weren't all that many of us. We all waved at other bikers. Then the yuppie RUB phenomenon happened. A "RUB" by the way is a Rich Urban Biker. Well all these weekend and pretend bikers were waving like madmen at everyone. It wasn't the same brotherhood it once was and many, myself included, quit waving at all those people that we didn't know. Yes I admit it, I am a biker snob !! OK now I am on the other side of the fence. I am new to jeeping. I'm having a blast off roading and meeting new friends. But I recognise that it's probably the same scenario. Many long time hardcore jeepers don't see the new wave of yuppie jeepers as one of them. Popularity killed the novely of a lifestyle. It may be sad but I do understand it. I don't take it personally, I just keep looking for the fun stuff and making myself happy. The freinds come with time and thats all I'm really after. Just my 2 cents. OK now flame on ! But incase I have offened anyone........here
Old 07-01-2007, 03:13 AM
JK Newbie

Location: Mountain View, CA & Incline Village, Lk. Tahoe, NV (summer house)

Originally Posted by Steph
...With the JK being even more user friendly than the TJ, will attract even more yuppies, and in a few years, the wave will be a thing of the past...

...those who don't understand or don't want to, should buy FJ cruisers.
I work for one of the search engine company in Sillicon Valley. Before JK, I drove Land Rover Disco (which now my wife drives). So, I guess people consider me a "yuppie" but I usually wave. I had a TJ when I was in college, and I learned about the "Jeep wave".

Funny thing is that now many FJ (Cruiser that is) drivers wave to each other... that's what I heard from a yuppie co-worker who drives FJ. Some Disco drivers wave to each other too but not too often.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by zero
All I know is I don't want to be the guy that doesn't wave!
Old 07-01-2007, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think it's always best to wave, even if they don't wave back. Maybe they just don't know. if enough people wave maybe they will get the idea. My brother once borrowed my jeep and when he returned it he thought i knew every other jeep owner in the city cause they all waved at my jeep.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

i get return waves probably 4/5 times... sometimes its because they didnt notice, others are people just not waving back. Ill have my arm out the window sometimes and not get a wave. As far as woman go its about 50/50... The ones that do wave seem to get it though and go all out aha.

Couple days ago a cheroke waved at me, i didnt have time to return it. Didnt expect it
Old 07-01-2007, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Ignorant fools....

Just goes to show... stupid MFers will blame Bush for any damn thing.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I work in the Ft. Worth/Denton area, there is one guy in a heavily modded tj that always waves at me when we pass on 380, he's one of the very few. I think I know of 2 returns I've had from women but most have been men that don't wave. I do get a lot of waves from other JK's though.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh this is definetly FL thing. I live in VA and went to FL 2 months ago and saw the same. Not because I drive JK but other JKers wouldn't wave at me. I saw TJs, YJs and they dont' wave at eachother. Only people wave are the ones that drive lifed Jeeps. I had only 2 wave at me which were lifted and stuff.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

I have noticed that the JK owners I see don't typically wave back. A lot of them have that yuppie look to them. I had one guy in a JK look at me in disgust because my JK was covered in mud.

This reminds me of the transformation that happened to a lot of SUVs in the early 90's. Damn yuppies got a hold of them and became the biggest buying segment. They bitched about the stiff ride and the next thing you know, the manufactures are putting out station wagons with big tires and calling them SUVs. I hope that this doesn't happen to our beloved JK.

Oh, and another thing. I wish that it would be against the law to use a cell phone while driving. Society survived for years without them. Just wait and see, all of the bees are probably dieing from the signals they put out.

Ok, sorry about the rant. I just hate cell phones while driving... and yuppies too.

Have a great day everyone!

Quick Reply: Jeep Wave Killers!!! (imo)