Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep won't start and ETC light is on!

Old 05-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like a bad battery to me
Old 05-27-2012, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrazy
What year is yours? I have an 11 and it did this to me just last week at a friends house I have the dull batteries and everything I took the cable off the battery for a few then put it back on and jump started it it's been working fine since not sure what the deal was but since you said that about the grounding i know what I'm doing this weekend
I had a 08 JKUR. They added an additional ground cable from engine block to negative terminal on the battery. Solve the problem. It never happen again.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 AM
4X4
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cuongdyna
I had a 08 JKUR. They added an additional ground cable from engine block to negative terminal on the battery. Solve the problem. It never happen again.
I have a 08 and now 3 times in the last three months its happened to me. I have a 1 yr. old battery and nothing had happened until one evening after the rig sitting for 2 hours, went to start, dead. One click, all lights work, but no turning over. I have a battery disconnect installed and all I have to do is disconnect/connect and it fires up like nothing ever was wrong. I wonder about the grounding wire idea. What’s strange is nothing moves between discon/connecting the battery. I have a manual, tried rocking the Jeep once time thinking it was the starter. Nothing. Could a single bad cell cause it to randomly not start w/o any other symptoms?
Old 03-29-2018, 05:15 AM
JK Newbie

Default Solution

i realize this is an older post but if my information helps someone it’s worth it. I came across this forum because I had similar issues. I have a 2007 Jeep Commander. Went to start it all my lights and bells came on but nothing happened when I turned the key. Wouldn’t roll over wouldn’t do anything. The check engine light and the ETC (electronic throttle control) light was on. The ETC light looks like a lightning bolt (⚡️) anyway so after doing some research I decided that it may be a battery ground issue. I took the ground cable off of the battery and filed the connections then replaced it and check all of the computer wires to make sure they were connected properly. Turned the key and started it. No other issues and light went off. Hope this helps someone out there.
Old 03-02-2023, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

I had recently replaced the lower intake manifold gasket. I was a bit rough with the throttle body 6 wire connector apparently. Broke the clip and it wouldn’t fit properly. I pulled one from a Chrysler van I found in the junk yard, cut the wire from the harness one by one and matched them to the new connector. ETC light disappeared and engine became smooth as it was before. After few days light started to appear again with rough idles, and I also had few stalls. As it’s not my daily, I ignored the light for months. ETC Light was coming on and off. Today I opened the hood, started my JK and run my hands on all my connectors and wires around throttle body. When I touched the 6 wire bundle that I connected one by one and covered with shrink wrap few months ago, Jeep hesitated and almost came to a stall. ETC light was on. I went through this process few more times to make sure it was definitely the wiring. I even found the specific wire. I didnt properly connected one wire apparently. I fixed it and since then no light, no hesitation or stalling. Even when I shake the wire bundle, engine sounds normal unlike before. In case this helps to anyone.

Quick Reply: Jeep won't start and ETC light is on!