JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Jeep Wrangler Salute (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/jeep-wrangler-salute-344898/)

robchorz 01-15-2018 03:04 PM

Jeep Wrangler Salute

So as a new JK owner, I noticed that other JK (and older Jeep Wrangler) owners give a "salute" when passing by. I think that's cool and adopted it myself.

However, after a while I noticed that not everyone gives the Salute. For example, women, NEVER give the salute. I guess I can understand this somewhat since it could get them some unwanted attention - all of a sudden dudes will be making u-turns trying to catch up to the poor girl :) It also could be that there are too many JK's on the road now...

This all originated a long time ago (before the JK, 2007) when there really weren't that many Jeep Wranglers on the road. It was kind of like being in a small club. Now a days, the JK is one of the most popular vehicles on the road. I must pass 20 of them on the way to work everyday.

So I have made a decision regarding salutes. If someone salutes me, I will reciprocate. However, I am only going to initiate the salute if the JK has been modified (lift, wheels after-market bumpers flares etc...) Because this tells me the JK owner is a real enthusiast.

Your thoughts on this?

ronjenx 01-15-2018 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by robchorz (Post 4312082)
So I have made a decision regarding salutes. If someone salutes me, I will reciprocate. However, I am only going to initiate the salute if the JK has been modified (lift, wheels after-market bumpers flares etc...) Because this tells me the JK owner is a real enthusiast.

Your thoughts on this?

I am an enthusiast, and my JK is not modified. (Not in ways that show, anyway.)
Snubbing non-modded Wranglers is like CJs not waving at Wranglers, TJs not waving at JKs, and 2dr JKs not waving at 4dr JKs.
I've been around long enough to see it all, and talk to those who snub for various reasons.

I wave at them all, not looking for a return, but paying more attention to other things around me.

wandrur 01-15-2018 03:47 PM

It's always been the Wrangler wave, having nothing to do with generations (or gender, for that matter).

If you're in a Wrangler, I wave. I've been no difference between men or women waving. The only difference I've ever noticed is the drivers of some of the older models aren't as into it as the drivers of newer ones. But it's like that in the Harley world, too, though the model-specific snobbiness is more pronounced.

Cutman 01-16-2018 04:37 AM

Somebody posted this once and I've adopted it as well.

"I wave at all Jeeps, not the owners. If the owners wave back, it's s bonus."

I usually always wave first.

lowendrider 01-16-2018 05:55 PM

I wave at all Jeeps that the top comes off of. In my experience, waving at all the others if a waste of time. If they don't wave back, it doesn't bother me, I just wave on.

RoccoV 01-16-2018 07:57 PM

I wave at all Wranglers no matter if I get one back or not. Have since the late 80s and will as long as I'm driving a Jeep(which seems will be for a long time. Thinking about buying a 3rd in the next year or so.)
I've also noticed here in NC the modded Cherokees wave and I will wave back.:standing wave:

Wuebben.2 01-17-2018 01:24 PM

I wave at all wranglers, and any other Jeep that looks cool. There's a rough looking Comanche and a couple nice modded XJ's around here I've waved at. If it looks cool I wave, and don't expect one in return. There are a lot of people that don't know the wave, they buy a Jeep because it's a neat vehicle to them. If enough people wave, they'll eventually figure it out and start waving too.

kevinlee 01-17-2018 01:34 PM

I wave to all Wranglers and any other Jeep that looks like they wheel. There is even a jacked up Liberty on Rubi wheels n tires around here. I really don’t pay attention to if they wave back or not anymore.

wandrur 01-17-2018 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cutman (Post 4312113)
Somebody posted this once and I've adopted it as well.

"I wave at all Jeeps, not the owners. If the owners wave back, it's s bonus."

I usually always wave first.

I like it!

Emoto 01-18-2018 09:26 AM

The female Jeepers usually wave at me, but then...

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...faeb18a829.jpg