Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JK manual transmission issue or clutch?

Old 03-17-2019, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK manual transmission issue or clutch?

Ok, so here is what happened the best way I can describe it,
I was driving my 2007 Unlimited X 6speed manual and everything was fine. Drove on the highway for about an hour, then on some main streets for about 15 minutes. I was slowing down to get ready to make a turn onto a side street and it felt like the Jeep jumped out of gear. I pushed the clutch in and put it back into gear but nothing but some grinding noise.
I dont get any force moving forward in any gear including reverse. Shifting the 4 wheel drive system doesnt make a difference either. The grinding noise sounds the same in any gear. Noise will go away in a few seconds when the clutch is depressed.
Could the clutch have blown up or did the transmission give up the ghost?
Old 03-17-2019, 12:28 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Could be either the trans or the clutch. Regardless, both the trans and clutch have to be removed. Once removed, the problem should be obvious.

Stay in touch
Old 03-19-2019, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Try this...

Originally Posted by Chris479
...... I pushed the clutch in and put it back into gear but nothing but some grinding noise.
I dont get any force moving forward in any gear including reverse. Shifting the 4 wheel drive system doesnt make a difference either. The grinding noise sounds the same in any gear. Noise will go away in a few seconds when the clutch is depressed.
Not sure what it means when you say you don't get any force moving forward in any gear...However, With the engine running and the vehicle stopped when the clutch is pressed will it go into any gear easily or does it grind for all gears? You say the grinding will stop after the clutch is pressed... does that mean that it will go into gear when that happens? If it grinds and won't go into gear your clutch is bad. If it will (finally) go into gear(after grinding) your clutch may not be completely disengaging..

Here is a more definitive test. a manual JK can be started without pressing the clutch when it is in 4-low. Try putting it in 4-low and 1st gear and start the vehicle without pressing the clutch. When the Jeep starts, and hopefully begins to move, press in the clutch pedal. If the vehicle starts and does not move the clutch is bad. If the vehicle starts and moves but doesn't stop when pressing in the clutch will also confirm the clutch is bad. .

Hopes this helps diagnose

KG6SLC aka Eugene

Old 03-19-2019, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

What I mean is the truck does not even move an inch. I messed with it a bit today to take a video and I discovered that with the engine running, and not touching the clutch, I can shift through every gear including reverse without and issue, smooth as butter. The grinding noise did not start until after I pressed the clutch in the first time. Thought things might have changed a bit now that it wall cold. I gain give it the gas while in gear and the clutch out all the way and nothing but increased noise, no movement. I’m hoping its the clutch because I found out today that these transmissions are from Mercedes and very expensive to get rebuilt. Fancy that, just when I thought i was doing the right thing and buying American.
Im leaning towards the fact that the clutch blew up because shifting through the gears is as smooth as silk with the clutch in or out. Fingers are crossed. I will defiantly reply to this post when I find the problem to try and help anyone else in the future.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:28 AM
JK Newbie

So here is the update Incase anyone encounters the same issue.....
After having to wait due to some because of back pain I finally got under the JK and pulled the trans. The problem was the clutch plate itself. The center spline broke free from the clutch plate. Never saw this happen before but definitely the lesser of all evils. Got most of the work completed yesterday but back pain caused me to stop early. Trans mount needs to be replaced and 5 out of 8 driveshaft bolts need to be replaced. Time to order more parts,
Old 04-14-2019, 09:48 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Chris479
So here is the update Incase anyone encounters the same issue.....
After having to wait due to some because of back pain I finally got under the JK and pulled the trans. The problem was the clutch plate itself. The center spline broke free from the clutch plate. Never saw this happen before but definitely the lesser of all evils. Got most of the work completed yesterday but back pain caused me to stop early. Trans mount needs to be replaced and 5 out of 8 driveshaft bolts need to be replaced. Time to order more parts,
This may help: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...5/#post4321526

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...5/#post4322031

Mine was similar, but caught it before separation. As noted in the post, the replacement (OEM is Sachs) looks redesigned to be stronger. Hope your back gets better quick -- can relate to that.

Last edited by Mr.T; 04-14-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: JK manual transmission issue or clutch?