Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK recomendations?

Old 06-16-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JK recomendations?

Hi, I’m new to the JK board and would like to congratulate you all on an awesome forum! I’ve already learned a lot about the JK thanks to this board.

I’ve been Jeepin off-road for many years with my 1970 Jeepster Commando and have restored another 1968 Jeepster Commando. I think I’m ready to step up to the new JK Rubicon for more reliable family off-road trips. I’ve been looking at the 2 door and it has all the room I need. Do you guys have any recommendations on what to buy (what options to include) on a 2008 Rubicon? I live in Maine, so most of our off-roading is in the woods with water and mud.

I’ve always had standards, but I think I’m going to get the automatic. The lifetime warrantee is one reason I’m willing to make the switch to auto. Also, can the spare tire rack support the added weight of my Hi-Lift Extreme Jack? I don’t want to mount it to the hood on the hinges because it’s a heavy beast to pick up and move around. I’m afraid I’ll drop it on the hood! Where do you guys store your Hi-Lift’s?

Thanks,
Nathan
Old 06-16-2008, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before going with the Automatic, do a bit of searching. I have the stick, but I have read many threads regarding the questionable quality of the A/T.

Also do a bit of searching on the quality of Chrysler warranty... there is at least one lawsuit that I know of. I guess I'd rather get a more reliable part than rely on the warranty for a less reliable part. My $0.02.

There are a few threads on highlift jacks and good mounting locations. Check the "write-ups" section. There is also at least one company that makes aftermarket spare-tire/gas-can/jack mounting hardware... I just can't think of the name off the top of my head
Old 06-17-2008, 02:37 AM
JK Jedi

Buying a Rubicon, the transmission will really be your major option choice (for the drivetrain). I have the auto and haven't had any issues. Some have, but in the grand scheme probably still a very small percentage.

As for the hi-lift, it would probably be fine as long as you're staying with the stock size tires. If you go bigger there then you'll probably be wanting an aftermarket bumper/tire carrier.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the welcome guys. I appreciate the help and advice and will keep you all posted if/when I make the big commitment to spend all that money! I still love the old Jeeps, so it's hard for me to walk away from the old faithful 1970 Jeepster Commando. It take more time to tinker with, but it's a rush to see the old iron still climb it's way through the tough stuff!
-Nathan
Old 06-17-2008, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have auto Rubi and I'm very happy with it. As with all things regarding internet forums, the extremes always seem to be talked about the most. The vast majority of JK owners don't even post. I would even bet that the majority of JK forum thread readers don't post. I guess you can just look at how many posts a thread has and compare to the number of views.

Regardless, I'm sure you'll be happy with your Rubi, whichever choice you decide. I drive on the freeways in Los Angeles and San Diego on occasion, so the auto was the only choice for me...i hate sitting in traffic with my foot on the clutch.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The word "Family"... get the 4 door.

If the wife can't drive a stick get an Automatic.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:03 PM
JK Junkie

For the Hi-Lift, i used to put it in the back and strap it down to the LATCH points that are just behind the rear seat. I have an aftermarket rear now, so I place the Hi Lift there. Not sure how you plan to pint it to the stock carrier as it's mostly hidden by the spare tire, so there's not much space.

other things to consider would be MyGig, unless you are very specific on what you like in a touch screen navigation, it works pretty well. And as others have said, if you plan to have anyone in the back seat on trips, then get the 4-door, it's far more capable than you think, just check out the posts on trips and you'll see the 4-doors doing everything the 2-door can.

Quick Reply: JK recomendations?