Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Squeaking and grind from front driver side

Old 12-22-2018, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Squeaking and grind from front driver side

Hey guys first time posting! So I just traded my old JK and got a 2011 JKU. Has a BDS 6” lift and 37” toyos. On the drive home, I noticed that there was a nasty squeaking noise coming from the front driver side. At first I thought it could be the shock so I talked to the guys at the dealership, and the guy literally said “It’s got a lift and bigger tires. It’s gonna drive different.” Wouldn’t even look at the car. Pestered him for a few more days and he agreed to take a peak. The next day, he said he couldn’t find anything and that he couldn’t even hear a squeak.

Now, there’s a grinding going with it. It’s driving me absolutely crazy!! Especially since the jackass isn’t willing to help. I took some videos before the grinding started. Couldn’t get one that accurately portrayed the grinding because of road noise and what not. I linked the video that I recorded below..

That said, what do you guys think is going on here? Any help is appreciated.

heres a link to the vid:

Last edited by Matt Galbraith; 12-23-2018 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Videos didn’t upload
Old 12-22-2018, 01:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Brake dust shield?

Lift that corner, spin the tire and listen. See if you can pinpoint a better location than just 'driver side'.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:18 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

It really could be u-joint... on front driveshaft... when they get dry... it can sound like that!
Old 12-23-2018, 08:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Galbraith
... 2011 JKU. Has a BDS 6” lift and 37” toyos. ...
Pull the front driveshaft and take it for a drive. See if that doesn't stop the noise. FYI, if you still have the OEM front DS, then it's probably toast anyway with that much lift. And if you don't, then you may need to lube that front DS (not all can be lubed). If you're not too late--if it needs lube, it may be damaged and need repair. When mine started making that same noise (Tom Woods DS) after driving through deep flooding during a road trip, I had to return it to the factory for repair. Not even the local driveline specialty shop had the proprietary tools to repair it. Bear in mind that some DSs (like Tom Woods) require removal of the DS so you can get at a hidden grease fitting on the CV ball.

An unrelated suggestion that you can thank me for later: Reevaluate whether you want to keep that six inches of lift. If you decide you've just got to have that much lift, then do some studying up about what mods you need beyond the lift itself to have a safe vehicle to drive and to prevent further high failure rate of components--replace diff covers, driveshafts, trackbars and control arms, modify steering geometry, cut off and reweld the spring perches, etc. Then check and see if your new Jeep has those mods.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 12-23-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
An unrelated suggestion that you can thank me for later: Reevaluate whether you want to keep that six inches of lift. If you decide you've just got to have that much lift, then do some studying up about what mods you need beyond the lift itself to have a safe vehicle to drive and to prevent further high failure rate of components--replace diff covers, driveshafts, trackbars and control arms, modify steering geometry, cut off and reweld the spring perches, etc. Then check and see if your new Jeep has those mods.
I probably should have been a little more clear with the details in the original post. There’s a lot more mods on the vehicle than I stated. It’s actually a 4” BDS lift with a 2” body lift. Has adjustable track bars. Definitely new control arms. BDS steering stabilizer. As far as I can tell though, it still has to OE diff. covers. Has been re-geared with a 5.86 kit and the PCM was programmed to reflect the change. Aside from that, I haven’t crawled under there yet to check everything as it’s snowy and cold as a mother f***** up here and don’t have a garage at the new house. But I’m no noob to the Jeep world. Been driving and working on them them for quite a while. My biggest frustration is simply the lack of responsibility from the staff that I bought the Jeep from (bought it from them with these mods already on it, and took it back to them the day after purchase with this problem).

As sunnysideup said, I’m actually starting to think it may be the u-joint. Been doing a little more research on that and other people with bad joints seem to have a near identical squeak. Just not sure now if the grinding I’m hearing is also a normal symptom of this. I was able to grab a vid of it last night but the grinding is very faint in it.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

If that sound isn't the CV centering joint on an aftermarket DC driveshaft, I'll be a monkey's uncle. If it's that dry, it's damaged, trust me.

You need to drop the front DS. You'll be able to easily tell if the centering joint is nearly seized up, or it it's a u-joint, but I am familiar with that sound.

Last edited by resharp001; 12-23-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
If that sound isn't the CV centering joint on an aftermarket DC driveshaft, I'll be a monkey's uncle. If it's that dry, it's damaged, trust me.

You need to drop the front DS. You'll be able to easily tell if the centering joint is nearly seized up, or it it's a u-joint, but I am familiar with that sound.
Seems to be something in that area! Thanks! I’ll try to check it out more when I can, but I’m definitely gonna be having the dealership paying for it. Appreciate the reply my man!
Old 12-23-2018, 12:14 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Galbraith
Seems to be something in that area! Thanks! I’ll try to check it out more when I can, but I’m definitely gonna be having the dealership paying for it. Appreciate the reply my man!
If you want some honest truth, dealerships (used or new) aren't worth shit. If it's the CV joint, it's a $55-$60 part, you can loan a BJ press from an auto store and replace it yourself easily (same thing BTW if it's a u-joint cept cheaper.....but I'm pretty certain it's the centering joint). You might learn a bit in the process as well if you've never replace a u-joint, and that knowledge will be valuable moving forward. Is it right that you should have to fix it? NO, but it is what it is. It's a good $60 lesson. These are the issues you'll encounter when buying a lifted jeep, and why it's always better to buy something unmolested IMO. It's ok though, it's a simple fix and not the end of the world.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
If you want some honest truth, dealerships (used or new) aren't worth shit. If it's the CV joint, it's a $55-$60 part, you can loan a BJ press from an auto store and replace it yourself easily (same thing BTW if it's a u-joint cept cheaper.....but I'm pretty certain it's the centering joint). You might learn a bit in the process as well if you've never replace a u-joint, and that knowledge will be valuable moving forward. Is it right that you should have to fix it? NO, but it is what it is. It's a good $60 lesson. These are the issues you'll encounter when buying a lifted jeep, and why it's always better to buy something unmolested IMO. It's ok though, it's a simple fix and not the end of the world.
Yeah I know. And I totally get it. But I do know my way around vehicles pretty well. And I love learning the things I don’t know. Problem is, if it’s something more than that, I definitely won’t be able to do it just because of weather conditions here lately. With my last Jeep, I put nearly 10k into it and did all the work myself. I typically don’t trust anyone to work on my vehicles but me. But I traded it because it’s a 2dr and I’ve got a kid on the way and need the extra room with the JKU. There are some shops in my area too that rent out lifts for you to do your own work, but those are about an hour+ out from the house we just moved into. Pretty much it just comes down available time vs. the current weather. Leave for work at 6:30, get home around 7 and it’s already been dark for an hour and a half up here. Plus, my fiancé and I both need a car so if it’s something more that will take a few days, at least the dealership offers free loaners. I honestly hate this time of year because it doesn’t allow me to get out and crawl under my cars even if it’s just for the sake of crawling under them.

But I’m definitely gonna be at least checking it out to see if I can find the problem before I let any of the guys at the dealer touch my Jeep.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

As was mentioned above, pulling the front shaft and going for a drive should very quickly prove or eliminate it as the culprit. (though not very desirable if it's snowy and slick). And also verify whether it is stock or aftermarket for us, should be able to snap a few pics without crawling under.
I understand the time limitations you're facing, but if it is a bad joint, you probably don't want to keep driving on it until it seizes...

Teraflex has some humorous tech videos. Here is one talking about stock vs aftermarket, and how to grease the aftermarket joints. Good info in case that is the problem.

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-23-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: JK Squeaking and grind from front driver side