Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Unlimited X 4dr Capalities

Old 10-04-2006, 03:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JK Unlimited X 4dr Capabilities

To any of you hardcore Rockcrawlers or Trail Beater's, since I didn't buy the Rubi 4DR and chose the "X" with Trac Loc, I have a question. What is the real / true capabilities of mine if you weren't worried about (((breaking, bending, scratching, cracking, smashing, or over on it's roof)))). This 4 wheel dr system is new to me and I would like some qualified info((this is the place to get it)). I thought about the Rubi for weeks prior to buying mine, but I knew the only time the Locker or Disconnect buttons would ever be pushed in, is if I accidental pushed them while cleaning it. I know it's "Trail Rated" but if you actually got in a (one wheel on & one wheel off the ground in the front situation), what takes place with the front traction at that point. I know I have posi in the rear but the front traction problem is a little mysterious to me.
If Jeep would take Trac Loc equiped "X" to the Rubicon would it actually do some of the course.

Last edited by nam6869usmc; 10-04-2006 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had an '89 YJ Wrangler that I wheeled for a while mostly stock that was set up pretty much as your JK is. Ignoring the fact that the JK is a better wheeler due to the better wheel travel and larger stock tires, generally you will be fine on most trails.

Stuff like lockers and sway bar disconnects are really only needed in the extreme stuff.

Over the years I modified that YJ and could do more and more. However, I never had a locker, just the limited Slip and I completley removed the sway bar (you can do that on leaf spring vehicles) And that rig went everywhere I wanted to go. Was it an ultimate rock crawler? Of course not. But there are a hell of a lot of trails out there that need little more than good throttle control and picking a good line.

Far too many people look at the equipment and forget about the skill of the driver. A good driver can easily make your rig do things that a poor driver in a Rubi could never do.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:11 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey nam6869usmc, the Unlimited X's are actually pretty well equipped and should perform quite well on the trail. At the very least, it does have a Dana 44 rear end, a limited slip diff and ESP which kind of acts like a virtual limited slip. As far as your front end goes, just because you don't have the fancy electro-disconnects, that doesn't mean you couldn't by a set of high quality manual swaybar disconnects for about $150. And, with your links disconnected, the scenario you just described may not even happen at all.

For whatever it's worth, I'd have no doubts your X could make it through the Rubicon. Besides, so much of vehicle capability really sits in the hands of driver experience.

EDIT: What CJ2a said
Old 10-04-2006, 08:42 AM
JK Freak

CJ2A & Wayofflife, thx for your honest opinion's. This JK is far more advanced than my 79 cj7 even the way I modded it. I found this below and read about the "((BLD, ESP, TC, etc, etc))" and what it is & how it really work's......great education. This vehicle would stand it's ground with anything out there except the Rubi, and I see no argument that the Rubi stands at the top of the mountain right out of the box. I feel JEEP has a total grip on this market with the Unlimited 4dr X, Sahara and Rubi(what a selection).
And yes, driver is the brain that gets you through the tough stuff.

This was good reading.
Available for the first time with Jeep Wrangler models are Brake Lock Differentials (BLDs), which are incorporated into the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) algorithm. BLDs apply braking force to an axle's spinning wheel in order to provide an equal amount of torque to each wheel and deliver greater traction for rock-crawling over severe off-road terrain. A separate set of BLD calibrations is designed for off-road operation and automatically activates when driving in 4 Low.

Electronic Stability Program
For the first time in a Wrangler, the all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited come standard with Chrysler Group's Electronic Stability Program (ESP) – providing significant benefits in accident-avoidance driving situations. ESP helps the driver maintain vehicle directional stability by applying selective braking and engine control, within the limits of available traction, to maintain the vehicle's intended course. Jeep Wrangler's ESP system includes Hydraulic Brake Assist, Traction Control, Brake Lock Differentials and Electronic Roll Mitigation.

The 2007 Jeep Wrangler's ESP system provides three modes: “full on,” “full off” and “partial on,” with the default mode as “full on” with each engine start. The benefits of ESP's three modes are as follows:

ESP MODE BENEFIT

ON Applies selective braking and engine control to maintain the vehicle's intended course. Full-time ERM and Traction Control are available.

PARTIAL Traction Control is deactivated and ESP operates at a highe rthreshold. Full-time ERM and Brake Lock Differentials are available.

FULL OFF ESP and ERM are turned off. Brake Lock Differentials are available. Ideal for off-road activities where wheel lock-up is desirable.

Best-in-class Ground Clearance and Articulation
The all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited's improved, best-in-class ground clearance, combined with short front and rear overhangs, are designed to navigate the world's most challenging off-road trails.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ2a
I had an '89 YJ Wrangler that I wheeled for a while mostly stock that was set up pretty much as your JK is. Ignoring the fact that the JK is a better wheeler due to the better wheel travel and larger stock tires, generally you will be fine on most trails.

Stuff like lockers and sway bar disconnects are really only needed in the extreme stuff.

Over the years I modified that YJ and could do more and more. However, I never had a locker, just the limited Slip and I completley removed the sway bar (you can do that on leaf spring vehicles) And that rig went everywhere I wanted to go. Was it an ultimate rock crawler? Of course not. But there are a hell of a lot of trails out there that need little more than good throttle control and picking a good line.

Far too many people look at the equipment and forget about the skill of the driver. A good driver can easily make your rig do things that a poor driver in a Rubi could never do.
Totally agree with this comment. I have a '97 TJ Sport that I've only made minor modifications to (3" body lift, 32" Goodyear MTR's, Side Steps, Bush Guard) and when I went on some tough trails at the Jeep Jamboree they said I would need lockers and bigger tires or I might need to get towed. I had no problems with any of it but I did watch some Rubicons have trouble cause the drivers didn't know how to pick a line.

A must though is definitely tires, the stock tires on X and Sahara aren't going to take you nearly as many places. My MTR's have been amazing and I've had them for 5 years with still some tread to go. They're not so great anywhere else but on the trails they rock.

I'll be sad to see her go when my JK comes in the next couple of weeks. In the 10 years I've had virtually no issues, one new battery, one new set of brakes and a couple of exhaust manifolds. Still got the original muffler which is saying something in these Canadian salty road winters!
Old 10-04-2006, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

Bill, Congrats on your upcoming JK,...I totally agree with you concerning the tire's, without the proper "feet" you just won't walk up that hill very well.. There are other vehicles out there that would be shocked how much better they would go with some serious tire's under them, . My tire's will be upgraded in time, no lift kit though.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't forget there are other good ways to get stuck that don't involve articulation: mud & sand. Limited slips are often useless in these situations. This is where you really need a locker.

I had a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited, had 3 electronically controlled viscous diffs, all limited slips. No manual control, no locker. Performed beautifully on snow & ice, but on mud or sand, it was horrible. Got stuck many times even with great tires, and visually verified on more than one occasion that it was ONE WHEEL DRIVE.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:36 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by briandunning
Don't forget there are other good ways to get stuck that don't involve articulation: mud & sand. Limited slips are often useless in these situations. This is where you really need a locker.

I had a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited, had 3 electronically controlled viscous diffs, all limited slips. No manual control, no locker. Performed beautifully on snow & ice, but on mud or sand, it was horrible. Got stuck many times even with great tires, and visually verified on more than one occasion that it was ONE WHEEL DRIVE.
That's what a good set of Mud Terrains that can do a good job of cleaning themselves out are for. They may not guarantee that you'd get out of a sticky situation but without them, you have little to no hope at all.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

Which system was this? I had command track in my cherokee, which let me choose an all wheel drive mode like this. Which I called ski lodge mode. It also had the standard part time high & lo also. I think my diffs were open though & I never had issues with sand( in part time). I didn't even air down in that vehicle.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

NOW you tell me!

I add that having a helpful Mexican rancher in a 1970's 2wd pickup nearby will get you through sand too - will cost you a cerveza, though...

Quick Reply: JK Unlimited X 4dr Capalities