Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JKU Flip Key i bought off ebay

Old 03-02-2019, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
For the cost, I'll gamble!

I think I'm from the microgeneration that appreciates switchblade keys. All the functionality without any of the pokey bits in your pocket. If they made a horribly triangular flip key.... I might try that
I'm waiting for when everything is locked/unlocked with our smartphone. It is getting close to that time. The switchblade keys made little sense to me since my house keys and all other keys are there poking me in my pocket anyhow.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like it. I’ll be ordering one too.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Got the key in today. Looks like decent quality material and finish, I'm happy about that. The key actually has a nice bevel on the non-key side to keep it a little slimmer. I had it cut and it fits and turns the lock. I have all three keys sitting here next to me so I'll program it when I get a chance. Looks good so far!
Old 03-05-2019, 03:25 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

was hoping to get mine today as well per your report. Apparently tomorrow. Go program that thing so I know if to waste my time or not!
Old 03-05-2019, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

It works! locks, unlocks, starts and drives. I did not test the panic button.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

It works! locks, unlocks, starts and drives. I did not test the panic button.
Do they make one with the remote start button?

Also keep us posted on battery life. I purchased a set of inexpensive blank fobs on Ebay. Everything worked great until I found I was replacing batteries on those fobs every 2 weeks
Old 03-06-2019, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Do they make one with the remote start button?

Also keep us posted on battery life. I purchased a set of inexpensive blank fobs on Ebay. Everything worked great until I found I was replacing batteries on those fobs every 2 weeks
Honestly I just followed the posted link and clicked buy, I didn't shop the options. There is a spot on the key that could accommodate another button so that remote starter is a possibility.

I did accidentally try out the panic button today. Turns out aiming the horn down into the engine bay to accommodate new headlights makes it sound pretty funny. I'll have to get used to not clicking that button.

Also one oddity, the key is now 90* to what we're used to. It's incredibly awkward. I'm sure it'll work itself out in short order but I'm commenting to thoroughly address the minutia of this venture.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Also one oddity, the key is now 90* to what we're used to. It's incredibly awkward. .
Now that might be something that completely drives me bonkers.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

For many remote starters, pushing the door lock button three times will make the thing start. That works for most aftermarket starters that Best Buy installs.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:40 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

So, got my key cut today. Local Ace refused to cut it, saying it was a $300 key and they weren't allowed to in case they messed it up. I assured them several times it was a $16 key off eBay and I'd throw it away if it didn't work. Stopped by an A1 Locksmith today after work. They had to use a newer fancy machine, but got it cut for $4. Came home, went through the process and it worked. Had a minor freak out trying to remove the key however, as the barrel wouldn't turn back to release the key. I guess the machine was limited in cutting it cuz the big fob part, and the blade of the key is just a tiny bit different than the originals. Realized I just needed to push in on the key as I rotated it back to pull it out. I thought the 90* thing might drive me crazy, but not a big deal. I'm gonna try to use this key a bit and see if I can get used to it.

Quick Reply: JKU Flip Key i bought off ebay