Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JKU Flip Key i bought off ebay

Old 03-08-2019, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice post OP and thanks for the heads up. Home Depot cut mine on their basic machine (non-programming) for free (since I wasn't buying a key), followed the program instructions here and all good. Cheers!
Old 03-08-2019, 04:24 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by fredrok
Nice post OP and thanks for the heads up. Home Depot cut mine on their basic machine (non-programming) for free (since I wasn't buying a key), followed the program instructions here and all good. Cheers!
I must have been dealing with some incompetent locksmiths. They tried to do it on the traditional style machine, but couldn't get the new key to stay mounted due to the fob.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 03-10-2019, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modify-Uncut...AAAOSwruVZy9xy
This is the one I got for my jeep 3 years ago.. yes it doesn't have a trunk but its in the same spot for remote start.. and it works like a charm. gut your old one and have it cut.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I must have been dealing with some incompetent locksmiths. They tried to do it on the traditional style machine, but couldn't get the new key to stay mounted due to the fob.
That's what I was told as well. Two local locksmiths said I need to open the case, remove everything, and hand them just the blank key. Going to try Home Depot and Lowes and whoever else first.

Edit - found a locksmith that would cut them without pulling them apart. He commented on the poor quality of the key blanks. The first one cut fine, but the second blank cracked and a chunk broke out as he cut it.
Emailed the ebay seller about pulling the fob apart and trying to replace just the key with one from my last set of flip keys that broke (visually, they look the same). The answer : The keys are integral to the fobs - they don't come apart. No answer to my question about how batteries are replaced if the fobs can't be taken apart...

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-23-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
That's what I was told as well. Two local locksmiths said I need to open the case, remove everything, and hand them just the blank key. Going to try Home Depot and Lowes and whoever else first.
That's crazy, the first locksmith I brought it to popped it in his machine and a minute later I had a key. Worked fine on the first try.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Getting keys cut is always hit and miss, even with the stock keys. I spent an entire Saturday driving around trying to find someone that would cut 2 blank fobs for me. I was almost ready to break out a file and start widdling it away myself. Most of them can do it, regardless of what machine they use to cut it, but a lot will choose not to cut it based upon they don't want to be held responsible for the cost of your fob if their cut doesn't work. That's also probably the real reason the locksmith asked nthinuf to remove the key from the fob.

I finally found a nice older gentlemen working at a Lowes who cut the fobs for free for me. He explained, if he charges then they could be held responsible for replacement of the fob if the cut isn't good. It wasn't every Lowes that would do it either, it basically boiled down to the individual being willing to help another person out or not. It was kind of funny to me because an employee at Walmart told me to try that particular Lowes since Walmart stopped cutting fobs people brought in and this was after I had visited 2 other nearby Lowes that wouldn't cut it.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-15-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

So, posting an update about this key. It had been a solid back up that I used from time to time. I'd use it on a regular basis for a bit, then would start feeling like the key fob was so large it kinda beat me down so I'd go back to a regular key, reverting back to it occasionally. One other thing I didn't like about it was that several times while holding it I'd accidentally trigger the alarm. I have never once done that with the regular key. I'm sure you know that feeling of standing in line somewhere and someone's car horn is going off and the thought is "come on, who's that idiot?".......then you realize it's you!

Well, the other day I used this key to run to the store. Upon leaving the store, I had the blade out as I opened my door to get it. Somehow, I caught the blade on the b-pillar or something and the damn thing bent a good 60*. Ummmmm. I couldn't figure out where I hit the key on the body cuz there was no scratch or anything. I couldn't believe how easily it bent. I always keep tools in the jeep and was able to straighten the blade enough to get it in the ignition, but the key is trashed. I've never had a similar issue with a key bending like that. Not sure if it was just the metal used, or if this is something flip keys are susceptible to. I was thankful to not have been stranded though.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought one of these and got it cut no problem, but I cannot get it to program. Followed the instructions multiple times. Anyone else unable to program on a '13 JKUR?
Old 02-20-2020, 10:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by mattrg
I bought one of these and got it cut no problem, but I cannot get it to program. Followed the instructions multiple times. Anyone else unable to program on a '13 JKUR?
I had no issues on my '13. I just have a sport, so nothing fancy like auto-start or anything; however, I don't see any options like that causing a problem.

I'd note my caution above about bending the blade on that key. I almost left myself stranded in a parking lot.

Quick Reply: JKU Flip Key i bought off ebay