Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JKU Overland build

Old 12-31-2017, 11:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JKU Overland build

I am starting an overland build on a 2016 JKU. I have only changed tires, front & rear bumper, and have a crap load of stuff sitting in a wish list on Quadratec's site (seemingly only site with easy shipping to APO). I want to upgrade the drive shaft, tie-rod, drag link, axles. Does anyone recommend an order for this build, what should be first, second and so-on?
I am new to forum's and really appreciate all the info that is available.
Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2018, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's the order I would do things

1) Tires and rock sliders
2) bumpers and winch
3) lockers and gears
4)roof rack or trailer
5) upgrade other parts as they wear out for break

As you upgrade you'll be able to go further, don't expect to circumnavigate the global once you get tires and sliders.

You also want to keep in mind your other gear...camping gear, recovery gear, cooking gear, etc.

Check out Overland Bound
Old 01-01-2018, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

I've been on the fence about sliders next or lift. Sliders are easier for me so that's an easy deal. I don't think i can get gears changed over here so that'll have to wait for a while.
Thanks, Wubben.2.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by OvrThru
... I have only changed tires, front & rear bumper ...
Originally Posted by OvrThru
I've been on the fence about sliders next or lift. ...
What are you expecting that lift to do for you? Generally, lift and tires go hand-in-hand because you add enough lift to clear your tires. A lift alone doesn't add much in the way of performance, (slight improvement in approach/departure angles) and does detract in other ways (higher COG, reduced reliability). You might also want a lift if you're running heavy to counter the impact of sag--but if your experience is like mine, you'll find that the more mods you do, the more sag you'll get, and the more times you'll be changing springs to counter it. I don't have any real solid advice except to suggest that if you think of lift as adding performance, reevaluate that. If you lived here in the states I'd make some disparaging remark now about people running around in ridiculously lifted pick-up trucks, but since you live in Europe, they tend to have a more realistic approach to vehicle builds. So no disparaging comment to entertain you. ;-)
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark Doiron:
doc5339 (01-06-2018), OvrThru (01-05-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 09:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I agree. Pick your tire size then build around that. Pick all the non suspension and axle stuff you plan to add to the vehicle so you can size the axles coils and shocks. Weight is a big factor that many people don't think about. Many people overplay the axles and unless you are going bigger then 35" tires the factory axles are likely going to be fine with proper gearing. If your rig ends up being real heavy then you will be looking at some real money in terms of axles and should be looking into full float to keep the weight off the shafts. Drag link, tie rods should not even be considered yet and is part of the overall suspension design. No real benefit to replacing these links if not damaged.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheDirtman:
doc5339 (01-06-2018), OvrThru (01-05-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Smile Thanks to Mark & Dirtman

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I agree. Pick your tire size then build around that. Pick all the non suspension and axle stuff you plan to add to the vehicle so you can size the axles coils and shocks. Weight is a big factor that many people don't think about. Many people overplay the axles and unless you are going bigger then 35" tires the factory axles are likely going to be fine with proper gearing. If your rig ends up being real heavy then you will be looking at some real money in terms of axles and should be looking into full float to keep the weight off the shafts. Drag link, tie rods should not even be considered yet and is part of the overall suspension design. No real benefit to replacing these links if not damaged.
I intend to add a rooftop tent, awning, and carrying the normal gear for 10-30 day trips. I am on the fence about the tire size but I know for sure I don't have any reason for bigger than 35's. I currently have 31's just to get the normal garbage shoes replaced.
Thanks to you and Mark Doiron.
I am planning a tour of the western Alps for this summer and most likely will not have the entire build even half done. I'll be ruffin' it a bit.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

So I am thinking of building a crazy idea; as we all know there are a lot of JKs in the junkyard. My thoughts are find a jk with front end damage only; cut the frame right at the fire wall and replace it with a trailer hitch place a grill on the firewall for looks strip the inside completely and assemble a camper interior similarly like a teardrop idea. Creating a perfect overland trailer. Would love to hear your thoughts even if you think I'm nuts
Old 01-05-2018, 11:55 PM
JK Newbie

I have decided to switch tires to 305/70R17, TF 1.5" leveling kit, Bilstien heavy duty gas shock for 0-2" lift. I believe that will overcome the sag of the future weight I plan to add.

Thank you, Dirtman & Mark!

Quick Reply: JKU Overland build