Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JKU Rolled On Black Bear (News Report)

Old 09-24-2014, 04:05 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed.. Mark.. I didn't want anyone to view my comments as rude.. but one should know their limits.. and this is coming from someone with back problems and last year we took the new river gorge trail.. Lets put it this way.. while on our travels of a few weeks ago.. we entered a part of highway.. I want to say 550 CO.. Maybe the tunnel bridge will clue you in..

This was an extremely dangerous hard surface road for anyone to travel.. Yet, I thought we passed several of the "badge of Honor" trails along this route. Past this bridge.. lead to sheer drops with no guard rails.. yet motorhomes and trucks were on this road the whole time we drove it.. parts of the road simply gave away and slid down the cliff.. The tunnel image was the first and last image of this road.. because clearly one needed to stay focused and wife wasn't to pleased with these tight corners and drops.. With her fear of heights.. she was leaning over in my direction..

Last edited by AngryRedBird; 09-24-2014 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
... With her fear of heights.. she was leaning over in my direction..
I hate to be a passenger on those kinds of roads. You can hear my friend, Ray, kid me sometimes on the videos where we're riding together. I'd freak out on Black Bear as a passenger.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:35 AM
-

As a safety concern.. I've been told to go with the flow.. meaning don't tense up just relax and follow through if it starts to roll.. this would be a great write or how to just in case.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why did he continue to stay on the gas and why was he so far to the left? It's rock crawling! Lay off the skinny pedal. These trails get bad reputations from novice drivers! That rollover was 100% avoidable
Old 09-24-2014, 10:15 AM
JK Jedi

Wow. Glad they are okay... I rolled my Jeep 3 times in an 'on-street' accident where another driver ran a red light and t-boned me, The rollbar held up well but the windshield caved in. Good thing no one was on the passenger side in my Jeep.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
This was an extremely dangerous hard surface road for anyone to travel.. Yet, I thought we passed several of the "badge of Honor" trails along this route. Past this bridge.. lead to sheer drops with no guard rails.. yet motorhomes and trucks were on this road the whole time we drove it.. parts of the road simply gave away and slid down the cliff.. The tunnel image was the first and last image of this road.. because clearly one needed to stay focused and wife wasn't to pleased with these tight corners and drops.. With her fear of heights.. she was leaning over in my direction..
Ah yes Hwy 550 aka Million Dollar Highway, locals have 3 reason they it called "Million Dollar Highway":

1) It cost the guy a million to build it.
2) Made a million dollars, since it was a toll road back in the day.
3) Or the locals favorite, they hear from tourist "I wouldn't take a million dollars to drive that highway again!!!

My grandfather spoke of that road when I was a kid and hated it, I drove it 2 years ago I saw why.

Glad to see they were ok, but major drivers error.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did black bear Ouray to Telluride in Aug. First real off-roading in Ouray the previous 3 days. Slow,easy,and careful in 4 low and i never really felt in danger. Unfortunate, but glad no one was hurt, you can always get another Jeep.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 09-24-2014, 07:22 PM
SKT
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by alcorona79

These trails get bad reputations from novice drivers!

That rollover was 100% avoidable
Quoted for truth.

Just watching that short video clip proved that driver had no business whatsoever on this trail.

Instead, he should buy a Prius and keep it on pavement.

Wow...

Old 09-24-2014, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I drove Black Bear last year in my XJ. Incredible trail, still does not describe it. You just need to pay attention, which is hard because of the views. Nothing technical, just need to stay calm and have good equipment. There is 1 switchback that made me nervous, but I would drive that trail again.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Obviously he got too far left..... But to those who have run this trail... Was he going too fast? Kinda looks like it in the video.... Glad no one was hurt.

Quick Reply: JKU Rolled On Black Bear (News Report)