Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Just ordered K&N CAI and debating if this was a good buy

Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered K&N CAI and debating if this was a good buy

New to Jeeps but by no means new to CAI's. I'm not fooled by the posted HP and torque gains but I do feel that they improve throttle response and make a mean sound on a 6 cylinder. For those of you out there that have a CAI can you give some insight as to how well they work on your Jeep? Was it worth the money to you? Any feedback would be great!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

IMO you should of got a enclosed CAI to help prevent from water/mud while on the trail..... But if your just a street type then good buy
Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of it a street driver its a good buy if u offroad its a waste of money. Your chances of hydrolock go up significantly and you could have bought a snorkle
Old 09-14-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by medic_23387
Of it a street driver its a good buy if u offroad its a waste of money. Your chances of hydrolock go up significantly and you could have bought a snorkle
X2. The enclosed kind would have been a better buy if you offload. Snorkel would have been even better though!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
I love my CAI - went with the AEM Brute Force they are oiless - K&N now make the the air filters and you can buy a slip cover that keeps moisture out.
http://www.aemintakes.com/search/pro...t=81515.1.0001

each time after i go wheeling hard and dirty, i just soak the filter in a bucket of water for 1/2 hour let it dry and reinstall. I've been in hood deep mud and water no issues. Once i even soaked 90% of the filter with mud, still ran like a champ also sounds awesome if you add a cat back dual exhaust (i run the gibson) the throttle response is much better and i do believe i shave a second or two off my 0-60. this was one of my first mods and have been running for 4+ years and 83K miles no problems.
X2 on this. I love my Airaid CAI. I noticed the slight difference in performance and mpgs. Combined with the Superchips my 2 dr auto runs great...!!! I don't worry about water.........I've got a boat for that. Besides, never have liked the looks of a snorkel.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:39 PM
JK Freak

I have a snorkel only cause I'm afraid of the hydro lock...also installed the k&n air filter....have to believe that it acts as cold air right!? I mean how much cooler can the air get when being forced in from windshield height!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:15 AM
JK Newbie

Well I received and installed this weekend. First noticed that the throttle response is a little better but no real HP or torque gains. Love the sound though and like I said with the 6 speed the throttle response is noticeably better. For $195 + free shipping I feel now this was a no brainer. Now just waiting on Superchips to come out with a 2011 flash.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Adguy488
Well I received and installed this weekend. First noticed that the throttle response is a little better but no real HP or torque gains. Love the sound though and like I said with the 6 speed the throttle response is noticeably better. For $195 + free shipping I feel now this was a no brainer. Now just waiting on Superchips to come out with a 2011 flash.
Hey just an FYI. I was running the Mopar intake with my Superchips on my 08 auto. I removed the intake before Hurricane Irene came and noticed it performs much better with the stock intake. almost a night and day difference. I do miss the throaty sound of the intake but def like the performance increase and the added MPG.

Quick Reply: Just ordered K&N CAI and debating if this was a good buy