JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Kill switch on a 2012? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/kill-switch-2012-a-269212/)

VolcomTi 03-25-2013 12:26 PM

Kill switch on a 2012?

I've been hearing a lot of stories about people getting their jeeps stolen in SoCal. I'm moving to a not so good part of town and thinking about installing a kill switch for my 2012 Jk. Don't really know much about it.

Anyone know anything about kill switches? How to install it? Will it kill the warrenty?

Thanks, Luis

Freewill 03-25-2013 03:40 PM

Any kind of battery disconnect would work. There are manual ones where you must open the hood, or a big solenoid relay (around 300 amps) would let you disconnect from a small hidden switch inside the Jeep.

You probably need a hood lock also.

There could be a more elegant way to disable a JK with small gauge wire and a small switch, but if there is I don't know about it.

Renegade44 03-25-2013 03:46 PM

Just pull the fuel pump fuse. No gas, no ignition. It won't keep it from being towed away though.

VolcomTi 03-25-2013 05:08 PM

Yeah I still have to be able to use the jeep daily and be convenient.

Renegade44 03-25-2013 05:22 PM

Under the dash going to the ignition is an orange w/ white striped wire. It is he hot wire to the ignition. You can splice a kill switch in line with that.
I just always chose to full fuel pump fuse when traveling. Easy to get to, but not obvious to fix

VolcomTi 03-25-2013 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Renegade44 (Post 3490397)
Under the dash going to the ignition is an orange w/ white striped wire. It is he hot wire to the ignition. You can splice a kill switch in line with that.
I just always chose to full fuel pump fuse when traveling. Easy to get to, but not obvious to fix

Thank for the information.

i will probably to that when traveling as well. do you know the number or location of the full pump fuse?

Noxian 03-26-2013 10:18 AM

All jeeps since 2003 have had a immobilizer built into the ignition system, not sure how they are stealing them but they arent driving them away thats for sure.

Morris4x4Center 03-27-2013 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by VolcomTi (Post 3489917)
I've been hearing a lot of stories about people getting their jeeps stolen in SoCal. I'm moving to a not so good part of town and thinking about installing a kill switch for my 2012 Jk. Don't really know much about it.

Anyone know anything about kill switches? How to install it? Will it kill the warrenty?

Thanks, Luis

Could splice into the ignition or fuel pump fuse wires on the backside of the fuse box. Run the wires and a switch where ever you want under the dash, glove box, or under the hood. But a lot of thefts are committed with tow trucks nowadays. Good luck

greggnj 03-27-2013 10:49 AM

What about one of those hydraulic brake locks? Like a line lock with a key. It would be a little harder to tow it away also unless they drag it onto a flatbed....