JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Leather vs Cloth Seats (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/leather-vs-cloth-seats-246765/)

whiterave 09-04-2012 04:15 PM

Leather vs Cloth Seats

I wanted to know which ones are better in you opinion, what are the pros and cons to either or both.

I am thinking of going leather, but my concern is heat I live in socal and don't want my legs or body to fry when the top is off.

XSapper 09-04-2012 04:51 PM

I've got cloth and they are OK but leather would be easier to clean. Not really sure leather would last any longer and yes it is hotter than cloth. If you can afford the difference to get leather you might want to get cloth and a nice set of wetsuit type seat covers instead.

cuongdyna 09-04-2012 04:55 PM

I had both, my 08 had cloth and 12 have leather. I like the looks of the leather but you do sweat more on your back with the leather. Leather is easier to clean.

seribralcrow 09-04-2012 05:04 PM

I went with cloth because I have a dog. I don't have to worry about claw marks in the seats.

bob-o 09-04-2012 05:20 PM

Leather is wayyyy too hot in So Cal. So I went with cloth. The only leather I will do is a 1piece leather suit when I'm riding my ducati

westchester 09-05-2012 02:51 AM

It depends what color(s) you choose. Us East-coasters get sun occasionally :) - I've had Gray leather in a 1960s droptop which quickly cooled down after a second of pain, and now have self installed two-tone Black & Red Katzkins in the JK, again not an issue after they've baked in the sun.

Obviously Black on Black will burn. My black vinyl covered Tuffy center consol could cook an egg.

To add to a post above, my previous neoprene covers caused sweating way more than leather seats do. I haven't seen anyone post long term results if color of Katskins sun fade, I know neoprene covers do.

spi unlimited 09-05-2012 03:05 AM

I asked myself this same question before I bought my 2012 a couple of months ago and decide on the cloth. I like the leather look a lot better but have gotten very hot and sweaty in other vehicles with leather seats here in south Texas.....now I stay cooler and saved some bucks!

arjeeper 09-05-2012 03:09 AM

I'd have gotten leather if the Jeep was not a convertible or if I lived in a cold climate.

We ordered cloth and we're glad we did. In the summer months in Arkansas, we'd be a constant sweaty mess driving around in the sweltering heat and sun on leather seats.

The melty-hot feeling of my vinyl console top after sitting in the sun tells me I made the right decision.

Also, we got seat heaters on cloth. Best of all worlds in my opinion for warm climates with cool winters.

OH9JK 09-05-2012 03:19 AM

Leather seats in a Jeep? :doh:

Unless you like the feeling of swamp ass and sweaty back I would steer clear of leather seating.

Rubicon Beast 09-05-2012 03:58 AM

My black leather Katzkins are not that bad. Yes, it is hot the first half minute, but it cools off quickly. It gets nowhere as hot as the vinyl center console. I do not regret my choice, not even in 100+ Texas summers. My only concern with leather is rain, not the sun.