JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Leaving your jeep unlocked? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/leaving-your-jeep-unlocked-77169/)

RextheJeep 03-13-2009 05:29 PM

Leaving your jeep unlocked?

Do any of you leave your jeep unlocked when you are at work or in the drive way at home? I was reading on another post that some jeepers do this to keep people from cutting there windows to get in to steel something. Is this true? :naw:

jvalason 03-13-2009 05:34 PM

They come with locks??? Lol ;) mine is always unlocked for that reason.

myklt8 03-13-2009 05:36 PM

Sometimes I lock my doors, but they are in the garage, so it doesn't keep people out of my Jeep
seriously, nothing that I keep in my Jeep is worth more than the top, so it stays unlocked. I would rather someone take a cheap item, than cut my top

backwoodjk 03-13-2009 05:39 PM

I never lock it because it is a pain to lock the back doors w/o the power lock option. Should got power locks:naw:

benny 03-13-2009 05:51 PM

Stays unlocked. I don't keep anything worth much in her to make it worth while for anyone. I also make sure I dont keep deposit slips or anything else with important #'s on it in there.
People cutting your top just to be an a**hole, that is another story. I have not had that happen (knocking on wood right now) , but it has happened to other people.

White Widow 03-13-2009 05:57 PM

i usually dont ever have the doors or top on the heep but i have lock that goes on the clutch

RextheJeep 03-13-2009 06:01 PM

I don't leave anything of value in my jeep either but I guess I still have a hard time not locking it! I have not had any problems yet but you guys do make a good point for keep it unlocked. Old habits die hard I guess! :)

pearl-drum-man 03-13-2009 06:57 PM

Hard Top on, I'll lock it. Top off, no point to do so.

five-08808 03-13-2009 07:01 PM

I leave mine unlocked for that reason also.

Just-Say-JK 03-13-2009 07:52 PM

I always lock it. If an opportune thief walks by checking all the car doors, if it's open, he'll go in. Why make it easy for the assholes. If they cut my soft top, so be it. Thief are scum and I refuse to make life easy for them.

whiskeytango 03-13-2009 10:07 PM

Lock it. I agree don't make it easier for the thieves.

RN M OVR 03-13-2009 10:22 PM

As already stated, when the [soft] top is on, I'll lock it. When the top is off, why bother!?

No matter what, if someone wants to steal your Jeep, they'll find a way. My TJ was stolen when it was all locked up a couple years back.

It's a Jeep. One of the hottest vehicles to steal.

I'm not sure where you live, but I do live in a nice area so I'm comfortable no one will mess with it. Plus, my entire neighborhood knows its mine and see me working on it. At, work, I part it in the front of the store.

Lock or unlocked... if someone wants something inside or wants the JK, they'll find a way to get it. If they're skilled it will only take them a couple minutes. If they're ammatures, they won't get shit.

Pwermker 03-13-2009 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shane Stark (Post 999892)
Do any of you leave your jeep unlocked when you are at work or in the drive way at home? I was reading on another post that some jeepers do this to keep people from cutting there windows to get in to steel something. Is this true? :naw:

1-Locks are only for honest people.
2- Might as well lock it, most thieves are too stupid to realize it has zippers for the windows and cut them anyway. Probably wont even bother checking the doors.

l3itch 03-14-2009 04:37 AM

I have never and will never lock it. I also don't keep anything in it. I love not having to lock my doors. I don't have to find my keys before I get in it. I don't have to lock it when I get out.

My favorite part is when someone is getting in your Jeep and they wait for you to get your keys out and unlock it and you just get in, keys in pocket. I like their face :what?:

jkwranglerscott 03-14-2009 04:55 AM

i never lock my doors just the center console and the glove box

wrnglrguy 03-14-2009 05:11 AM

I had my TJ broken into a few years ago. Luckily, the punks were nice enough to unzip my back window and gain access instead of cutting my top. Since then, I don't keep anything of value inside and leave it unlocked. My CD's are all burned from the internet or the originals, and nothing else is of value inside.

I had my top replaced on my JK under warranty last year, and the cost on the invoice was $1300 (just the cost of the top), so I'd rather not have to pay for that. Insurance might cover it after my deductible, but I'm not taking the chance.

ESPMike 03-14-2009 05:16 AM

I never lock it. If there is something they want they are going to get it, be it by going through the door or by slicing your windows. I lock my console and glove box, and keep nothing else of value in there. I do have the instatrunk so I lock the tailgate sometimes, but I don't think I have ever locked the doors.

RextheJeep 03-14-2009 05:21 AM

Well I live in St Louis and work down town. Which has a high crime rate. I park in a parking garage that is patrolled with security on bikes. I guess since I have a soft top with the hard doors I will continue to lock the doors even if it is only to make me feel better about leaving my jeep unattended. If someone wants to get in they will, maybe through the soft top or the doors if I left them unlocked, who knows which, but I wont make it easy for them by leaving the doors unlocked. I knew when I bought my jeep that this would be a potential problem but I love my jeep and would not traded it for anything, soft top and all! :D :D :D I do plan on getting a hard top soon so I hope the potential problem of theft will decrease!

Gi Joe 03-14-2009 05:26 AM

Hardtop on= Locked, Soft top= unlocked

JKRINGO 03-14-2009 05:49 AM

Another reason that I ordered mine with a stick shift besides being fun to drive was that maybe the jerk would'nt know how to drive the damn thing and go for the automatic down the road.

Teedo10 03-14-2009 07:58 AM

Yeah, I don't think any thief is looking at our jeeps and having a mental debate as to whether to cut the top, unzip the windows or try the door. Having said that, out of habit I hit the little button and then chuckle to myself as I realize there's really no point.

davidwm71 03-14-2009 10:15 AM

Most theives are just going to cut the window. Why risk setting off an alarm, cut the window, grab what you see, and walk away.

Sometimes people just cut the windows to be a jacka$$. Kindof like the same people that key cars.

RN M OVR 03-14-2009 10:29 AM

For a peace of mind, you may want to check out Lo-Jack. It's about $600 bucks for a Wrangler. But, if it gets stolen, it will be found within a few minutes and cops will be on the perps a$$.

Or, you can get a motion sensor alarm. There are tons out there that range anywhere from $50 - $150+ depending on brand and reliability. http://www.commandocaralarms.com/ite...ProductID=1470

It's intended for a motorcycle, but trust me, it will work for any car/suv. Go by your nearest car audio place. They'll tell you what to look up in regards to car perimeter sensors.

I personally am thinking about getting something like this. I had one Jeep stolen and I was furious that someone got the better of me. Now, if someone decides to get in it for some accessories or actually try to steal it, I'll be like male lion

biglynny 03-14-2009 10:33 AM

My Jk is a hard top so I lock it when it's parked away from home. My CJ7 has a soft top which I installed a hidden ignition cut off switch. I figured that will at least slow the scum up a little bit. I'm just very careful where and when I park but I never leave anything in it.

JUSTIN01 03-14-2009 10:37 AM

If your Jeep does get stolen, don't let the insurance know you didn't lock your doors. You might as well write it off. :naw:

RextheJeep 03-14-2009 05:31 PM

Thanks everyone! My plan is to lock the doors and not leave anything of value in it. If they cut the windows to get in at least they won't get anything! Thanks for all your suggestions! :D

berg 03-14-2009 06:59 PM

Unlocked.:spy:

hiddenprey 03-15-2009 04:22 PM

i lock it with the top off if i am not at home. A kid opened my door last year and the horn started to beep untill i turned it off. it helped that a cop was in the parking lot at the same time.

milehighjk 03-15-2009 09:54 PM

my jeep was left unlocked and it was the only one in my parking garage that didn't get its window broken to steal petty items

rover1301 03-15-2009 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by RN M OVR (Post 1000835)
For a peace of mind, you may want to check out Lo-Jack. It's about $600 bucks for a Wrangler. But, if it gets stolen, it will be found within a few minutes and cops will be on the perps a$$.

Or, you can get a motion sensor alarm. There are tons out there that range anywhere from $50 - $150+ depending on brand and reliability. http://www.commandocaralarms.com/ite...ProductID=1470

It's intended for a motorcycle, but trust me, it will work for any car/suv. Go by your nearest car audio place. They'll tell you what to look up in regards to car perimeter sensors.

I personally am thinking about getting something like this. I had one Jeep stolen and I was furious that someone got the better of me. Now, if someone decides to get in it for some accessories or actually try to steal it, I'll be like male lion

Unlocked!
If a thief wants in your vehicle, "locked or unlocked" they are going to get in it any way they can.

I personally like "Ravelco" better than Lo-Jack, with Lo-Jack they can still steal your Jeep.
With Ravelco installed their not going to get the chance to get it started.

1st_Rubicon 03-15-2009 11:29 PM

I lock it with the hard top on... but in the summer with the bikini top and duster... I lock it the same... I know someone could just climb in, but the insurance thing is right, without the locked doors you'll be out some cash.

slopwalker 03-16-2009 04:58 AM

I leave nothing...

I dont leave anything of value inside the passenger area so I leave the doors unlocked always...I recently had someone go inside and steal my car charger but hey my top was in one piece..

opdsgt 03-16-2009 05:21 AM

I keep my JK (w/soft top) unlocked.

Tip from a law enforcement officer of 20 years: make a copy of your registration after blocking out the address. Keep the copy in your Jeep and the original in your wallet. Hide your garage door opener if you have one. Thieves like to steal GDOs and registrations from vehicles because if you're in the parking lot at work, you're not a home... and armed with your registration and a "key" to your house (the opener), it's easy to get cleaned out.

My .02 worth.

paratus13 03-16-2009 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by RextheJeep (Post 999892)

I just leave my windows out.

scouter4life 03-16-2009 12:06 PM

The only reason mine gets locked is for the alarm, otherwise I keep nothing in there of value.

JeepinMass 03-16-2009 12:24 PM

I've never locked my JK doors before. I lock my glovebox though.

saltman 03-16-2009 12:39 PM

I have never locked any Jeep I own. I also never locked my M3 either. I've got insurance and don't won't to deal with a broken window, etc.