Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

left front end dips: shocks? or other?

Old 08-26-2014, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default left front end dips: shocks? or other?

hi guys,
long time lurker. i recently finished my jeep build (well, the most critical stuff) with upgraded and fortified steering equipment, etc. i also recently got a set of king shocks.
last time out i hit some pretty intnese trails. thank goodness for being totally covered on the bottom with Hard Rock interlocking skid plates.

long story short, i get back on the highway home and my steering was pointing at 10:00a.m. just to go straight. (no biggie)
but the jeep was diving in the front left side (from drivers point of view) so it was being squirrly all the way home. bouncing down the highway diving into the front left.

my first assessment was that i might have destroyed a shock up front, either its just diving or one of them is not working at not compressing.

my shop re-filled the shocks with nitrogen, but it didn't help the problem.
any ideas on this? do you think my shock is indeed dead? or did i do something more deep to the car?

thanks for any ideas. trying to get the shop to warranty the shocks, but want to make sure that's it.
-brandon
Old 08-26-2014, 09:22 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

You may have bent your drag link. When that happens the steering wheel is thrown off. When the steering wheel is off center, as you try to accelerate the Jeep thinks you're in a skid and applies brakes on one side to correct it. Did you have any dash lights? To drive this way, press and hold the ESP OFF switch for five seconds or longer to put it into fully off (as fully off as you can get it, anyway) mode. Once you have the time, adjust the drag link to straighten the steering wheel while driving straight ahead. It's weaker now, so best to replace when finances allow.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
You may have bent your drag link. When that happens the steering wheel is thrown off. When the steering wheel is off center, as you try to accelerate the Jeep thinks you're in a skid and applies brakes on one side to correct it. Did you have any dash lights? To drive this way, press and hold the ESP OFF switch for five seconds or longer to put it into fully off (as fully off as you can get it, anyway) mode. Once you have the time, adjust the drag link to straighten the steering wheel while driving straight ahead. It's weaker now, so best to replace when finances allow.
thanks a ton mark,
will look into this. and yes i had traction control light on heading home. the shop cleared the light i think, but still dips to left. i'll check out the drag bar.
thanks a ton for the help!
-brandon
Old 08-26-2014, 01:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep...Mark nailed it. Same thing happened to my stock DL when I slid into a rock. My wheel was at 4 o'clock just to go straight!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Old 08-27-2014, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JayswranglerX
Yep...Mark nailed it. Same thing happened to my stock DL when I slid into a rock. My wheel was at 4 o'clock just to go straight!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
thanks jay,
the guys said they checked the parts and nothing was bent. waiting to get the jeep back down there. its gonna be a drag if they can't asses the problem. the jeep is almost un-road able.
thanks a ton,
-brandon

Quick Reply: left front end dips: shocks? or other?