Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Legal front bumper in Canada - Help Please

Old 12-07-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK A.R.X-D....

Let's get started.

First of all, Section 16 of the CHTA is prescribed for COMMERCIAL VEHICLES.

Passenger vehicle regulations are prescribed by Province or Territory.

Soooo.... Where you going?

Last edited by Little Fella; 12-07-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Little Fella
First of all, ALL stubby bumpers are ILLEGAL in Canada for street use.
Thank you for clearing that up! So no stubby bumpers, I can Live with that

I am planing to have a trip across Canada, so I need to have a legal steel bumper no matter where I go. (Including USA)

Any suggestions?

Last edited by A.R.X-D; 12-07-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A.R.X-D

I am planing to have a trip across Canada, so I need to have a legal steel bumper no matter where I go. (Including USA)

Any suggestions?
Read the post above yours...
Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harbourone
Read the post above yours...
It still doesn't answer my question...

If Passenger vehicle-regulations are prescribed by Province or Territory,
HOW can I know what Steel bumper I can have so it will be legal no matter where I go?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:03 AM
JK Freak

Any suggestions?
Sorry I read the CHTA a little closer and revised my post.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:04 AM
JK Freak

It still doesn't answer my question...

If Passenger vehicle-regulations are prescribed by Province or Territory,
HOW can I know what Steel bumper I can have so it will be legal no matter where I go?

It only matters where you are registering/insuring your vehicle.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Little Fella
It only matters where you are registering/insuring your vehicle.
EH!?
so... IF my Jeep is registered in Manitoba, and legal to Manitoba laws, then I am legal anywhere I go!?

Did I understand you right!?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 AM
JK Freak

EH!?
so... IF my Jeep is registered in Manitoba, and legal to Manitoba laws, then I am legal anywhere I go!?

Did I understand you right!?
Should be the case.

Believe it or not, just moving and registering a BONE STOCK vehicle from Province to Province requires a Vehicle Inspection! (Stupid Law... Maybe) If you are in Manitoba, adhere to the Manitoba laws. If this is the case I'll look them up for you.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

Default Manitoba Highway Traffic Act (Excerpt)

SPLASHGUARDS OR FENDERS

Splashguards required

48 Every motor vehicle and every trailer, except a farm trailer, shall, when upon a highway, be equipped with splashguards or fenders adequate to reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear thereof, unless adequate protection is afforded by the body of the motor vehicle or trailer or by a trailer drawn by the motor vehicle; and the splashguard shall comply with the standards prescribed therefor under the regulations.
BUMPERS

Bumpers required

49(1) Every motor vehicle of the passenger car type shall be equipped with a bumper at the front and rear designed to minimize damage to the motor vehicle.

Standards of bumpers

49(2) No manufacturer of motor vehicles of the passenger car type, and no distributor or dealer of motor vehicles of the passenger car type, shall sell, offer for sale, or have in his possession for sale, a motor vehicle of the passenger car type of the model or make of the year 1973, or of any subsequent year, unless the motor vehicle is equipped with an appropriate energy absorption system which complies with the standards prescribed therefor under the regulations.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

BUMPERS

16.1 Every special motor vehicle of the passenger type shall be equipped with a bumper both on the front and rear of the vehicle.

16.2 The bumper width must cover the full track width of the vehicle.

16.3 The horizontal bumper of customized bumper or grill bar structure shall be at least 76mm.(3in.) in vertical height and centered on the vehicles center line and securely fixed to the vehicle and designed to minimize damage.

16.4 The bumper shall have no sharp ends and the ends shall angle towards the body.

16.5 The bumper shall be constructed of non-splintering material.

16.6 Original Car Manufacturers designs are acceptable.

16.7 Bumper Height Measurement Procedure - measure on a level surface the height of both front and rear bumpers to both the top and bottom of the horizontal bumper bars.

16.8 Bumper Height Requirement some part of the horizontal bumper must fall within 350mm.(13.7in.) and 560mm.(22in.) above the ground level surface. (See also red text below for trucks &c)

16.9 Every modified vehicle that is a truck or multi-purpose passenger vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating of 4500kg or less, the following shall apply:

a) There shall be a front bumper of at least 100mm.(4 in.) in vertical height and extending to the width of the vehicle manufacturer's track width.
b) The bumper shall be of non-splintering material with no sharp ends.
c) Bumpers shall be of sufficient strength and so attached to the vehicle frame so as to effectively transfer impact loads to the frame.
d) Dropped bumpers shall be horizontal, at least 100 mm. (4 in.) in vertical height and continuous across its normal width or shall consists of separated sections. Separated sections shall not be less than 100 mm (4 in.) high and 100 mm (4 in.) wide and shall not be more than 300 mm. (12 in.) apart.
e) All bumpers shall have a foremost contact point at the bottom of the bumper not to exceed a maximum height of 740 mm. (29 in.) above a flat surface upon which the vehicle stands at curb weight, unless originally equipped.

Quick Reply: Legal front bumper in Canada - Help Please