Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Legal front bumper in Canada - Help Please

Old 12-08-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A.R.X-D

*LoD Signature Series Mid-Width:

[/B]
So, If understand correctly this mid-width would not be legal in Manitoba? That sucks. I was planning on getting one to replace my stock bumper that got damaged a few weeks back.

I had a Dodge Avenger turn left directly across my path while I had the right of way through an intersection. Her front passenger corner took my front bumper dead center. Just mushed her front end in. My stock bumper was slightly pushed inwards and popped out a fog light.

Jeep 1 Avenger 0.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CdnJeepDan
So, If understand correctly this mid-width would not be legal in Manitoba? That sucks. I was planning on getting one to replace my stock bumper that got damaged a few weeks back.

I had a Dodge Avenger turn left directly across my path while I had the right of way through an intersection. Her front passenger corner took my front bumper dead center. Just mushed her front end in. My stock bumper was slightly pushed inwards and popped out a fog light.

Jeep 1 Avenger 0.

Sucks? I know! tell me a bout it!

It's look like that our best bet for a decent legal steel bumper here in Manitoba,
is the LoD Full Width Bumper...

Old 12-08-2010, 11:09 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by CdnJeepDan

Jeep 1 Avenger 0.
I know the LoD mid-width bumper was not legal as per the act. However, it did not stop me as I liked the look and the function of it to remove my quick discos and getting over larger boulders. I still have not been bothered by my local RCMP or my good friends Chris, Whistler Steve and Van. Island Austin about my mid-width bumper.

I think as long as you are not causing trouble or having RCMP focus in on your vehicle you will be okay! I have had a few RCMP officers on duty coming out of Timmy's tell me nice looking bumpers and I had our Jeep setup nicely. However, I have kept my stock front bumper in storage for those just in case VI's or should I have to move to another province.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
I know the LoD mid-width bumper was not legal as per the act. However, it did not stop me as I liked the look and the function of it to remove my quick discos and getting over larger boulders. I still have not been bothered by my local RCMP or my good friends Chris, Whistler Steve and Van. Island Austin about my mid-width bumper.

I think as long as you are not causing trouble or having RCMP focus in on your vehicle you will be okay! I have had a few RCMP officers on duty coming out of Timmy's tell me nice looking bumpers and I had our Jeep setup nicely. However, I have kept my stock front bumper in storage for those just in case VI's or should I have to move to another province.
Mike you're not entirely accurate. The BCMVAR allows ALOT more leeway for replacement bumpers.

The BC motor vehicle act states....

Bumpers, mudflaps
12 A motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with a front bumper, and where a replacement bumper has been installed, it shall give substantially the same protection as the bumper originally installed by the manufacturer.

A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a rear bumper where the manufacturer of the vehicle installed a bumper, and where a replacement bumper has been installed, it shall give substantially the same protection as the original bumper.

A bumper shall be securely fastened to the vehicle, and the bumper bar or brackets shall not be broken, loose or missing.

A bumper must not have a sharp or ragged edge and must not protrude beyond the side of the vehicle.

Mudflaps — A vehicle must be equipped with mudflaps or mudguards as required by section 7.06 of the regulations, which shall not be damaged or worn to the extent they are not effective.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Little Fella
Mike you're not entirely accurate. The BCMVAR allows ALOT more leeway for replacement bumpers.

The BC motor vehicle act states....

Bumpers, mudflaps
12 A motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with a front bumper, and where a replacement bumper has been installed, it shall give substantially the same protection as the bumper originally installed by the manufacturer.

A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a rear bumper where the manufacturer of the vehicle installed a bumper, and where a replacement bumper has been installed, it shall give substantially the same protection as the original bumper.

A bumper shall be securely fastened to the vehicle, and the bumper bar or brackets shall not be broken, loose or missing.

A bumper must not have a sharp or ragged edge and must not protrude beyond the side of the vehicle.

Mudflaps — A vehicle must be equipped with mudflaps or mudguards as required by section 7.06 of the regulations, which shall not be damaged or worn to the extent they are not effective.
Excellent...thanks Chris!
Old 07-13-2015, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default Quebec rules - strict limitations.

Originally Posted by Atticka
Anyone know or know where I can find the bumper and splash guard regulations for Quebec?

I've searched but had no luck.
Véhicules modifiés | Sécurité routière | SAAQ

The documentation is only available in French. In short, you need to add splash guards if you exceed 13 3/4 in or 35 cm from ground to bumper. For the bumpers, that's a little more complicated. You can replace the bumper shell!!! The deformable part of the bumper (which aborbs the energy in case of an impact) cannot be removed, deformed or modified.

While I'm at it... suspension: max permissible by law for on-road use is a 2,5 in lift (spring coils or spacers) and max tire size is 35 in; lighting: must have SAE designation - not legal to have a different color lens, not legal to have HID unless the OEM lights were HID, not legal to replace incandescent lights with LEDs.

A vehicle modified in Quebec needs to pass an inspection (once all modifications are completed) to obtain a Certificate of Modified Vehicle. (If you've modified your vehicle without obtaining a CMV, your insurer will bail out in an event of an incident and you'll be stuck holding all the liability). As you progress with your modifications, inform your insurer.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Im sure that the AEV bumper would work as well
Old 10-26-2017, 10:42 PM
JK Newbie

I realize this is an old thread. BUT the JK bumpers are confined to the frame rails ONLY. The extended extrusion points are the ends of the bumper. The parts of the bumper that are to the sides of the frame and actual bumper are simply plastic with zero structural integrity. SOOOO a stubby bumper that goes from frame rail to frame rail is considered the bumper as the manufacture has designed it. The plastic on the sides that extrude past the bumper are for show and not considered part of the structural sound. as long as the fenders cover the tire a stubby bumper meets or exceeds the requirements by the design of the manufacture. So basically a stubby bumper is what Jeeps have from the factory on a sport.

The plastic piece over it is simply considered a facia by definition as there is no steel only a small brace to hold the extensions in place. By adding a stubby bumper you are increasing the manufacturers structural design. Even and EVO fascia adds strength to the original rear bumper as it adds steel over top of the original bumpers structure.

The law states that the bumper must extent to the track width of the vehicle designed buy the manufacture,and that the modified bumper doesn't reduce the safety of the vehicle. if you can find a schematic of a JK for instance the bumper assembly if pointed out as the section between the frame rails. There are many other trucks that the bumper is steel past the frame rails but not for a jeep with the stock type bumpers on a sport for instance. Hears a YJ for instance. bumper is listed as the section between the frame.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whipper
The plastic piece over it is simply considered a facia by definition as there is no steel only a small brace to hold the extensions in place. By adding a stubby bumper you are increasing the manufacturers structural design. Even and EVO fascia adds strength to the original rear bumper as it adds steel over top of the original bumpers structure.
The Front JK bumper metal portion is definitely wider than the frame rails. I had a not insignificant hit on the front end of my Jeep, the front corner got pushed in pretty far. I would put it at the mid-width, but a stubby definitely reduces the protection. A few stubby bumpers like the ARB actually have you remove the front lower crash bar which further reduces the bumper's effect.

The rear bumper I would agree is a facia as it is just a big plastic tub. It provides low speed impact protection only.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1309287338492.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	675806

Quick Reply: Legal front bumper in Canada - Help Please